While attempting to take a selfie, an American tourist fell into Mt. Vesuvius crater

Originally published at: While attempting to take a selfie, an American tourist fell into Mt. Vesuvius crater | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Ash-hole.

30 Likes

Nick Offerman Giggles GIF

15 Likes

The volcano god will be angry at being denied a sacrifice.

19 Likes

13 Likes

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let ‘em go, because man, they’re gone.

19 Likes

Can anybody say why the guides on the other side rushed to help this guy?

1 Like

A natural human reaction? You see someone else getting hurt, and you rush to help?

14 Likes

40-50 people die every year (since 2011) from selfies.

I guess some of them survive.

10 Likes

Didn’t even need to add the “American” detail; it was obvious!

11 Likes

I just checked in with the Old Gods: The sacrifice only counts if the crater is filled with lava.

14 Likes

Pro tip for US people visiting Italy: if you see italians make idiot things disregarding warning signs and logic, it’ because we’re idots that disregars safety procedures. Don’t imitate us, please.

5 Likes

Same in Iceland.

Until relatively recently there were no fences or warnings close to hot springs, waterfalls and canyons - it was delightful. In the last few years, the signs and fences have been sprouting like mushrooms thanks to - I’m sorry to say - disproportionately American and Chinese tourists treating everything as an Instagram background. So last year, there were people walking on the razor-sharp surface of the lava at Geldingadalir when the temperate just a few a few centimetres beneath their feet was over 1000C. By some miracle, no one was killed or seriously injured.

The Icelanders have a refreshingly pragmatic attitude that if you’re stupid enough not to use common sense around natural hazards - well you’re on your own, they’re not going to risk their lives come and save you.

17 Likes

6 Likes

Hopefully he’ll grow out of it. He is currently in his Lava-l stage.

12 Likes

Apparently, your chance of falling to your death while taking a Selfie is 47.3% lower if you use Landscape Mode.*

*I can cite no sources for this, but why take the risk?

8 Likes

BUT… He wants to be “disruptive” and go where no one had gone… And survived
sigh

2 Likes

Tough crowd. C’mon guys, who can say they’ve never fallen into a volcano?

2 Likes

I’ve been know to go where I shouldn’t to get a photo but never dangerous (except for those alligators but that was a marked trail) or for a selfie. I certainly wouldn’t break any rules in a foreign country.

If me and the wife are at a landmark or just want a photo of ourselves I just ask a total stranger and hand them my expensive camera all set on auto or hand them my phone. I’ve never had a bad experience doing that and most times they ask If I will do the same for them. I’ll even offer if I see a couple or a group struggling for a photo.

1 Like

There never was a crater man than he.

6 Likes