The Cheesecake Factory has bankrolled a huge temple in an unincorporated California town

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/13/baba-lovers.html

I live in Contra Costa County, and have driven through Saranap many times, but not recently. I’ll have to check it out.

2 Likes

a-fucking-nother one? Exactly what we need. At this point it’s looking like the constant creation of new religions/fracturing of existing ones into smaller and smaller groups of adherents is a more sure path to secularism than just a straight line to atheism/agnosticism.

I can’t wait until Ross and Carrie join.

13 Likes

Yeah, but what’s the worship menu like?

6 Likes

I read that as SaranWrap.

I find that to be evil incarnate and not appropriately aligned with any ism.

7 Likes

At least they weren’t stupid enough to say she’d be back in twenty years.

4 Likes

reincarnation of Buddha and Christ and God on earth and that he will return in 700 years.

I damn near shit myself laughing over here.

7 Likes

She’ll be coming around the mountain when she comes!

10 Likes

700 years is about how long it takes to read through the entire Cheesecake Factory menu, amirightpeople?

10 Likes

Meh, everyone needs a hobby.

I use to live there, but never heard of Saranap? Even had friends who lived there. My grandparents lived about a block outside.

2 Likes

So wait, was it Cheesecake factory that bankrolled it, or the founder, who just happened to make money from Cheesecake Factory? I doubt it was showing up on CF’s quarterly statements.

I swear, it’s like Corey is not even trying to be accurate.

12 Likes

It really isn’t fair to say the the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act is meant to protect megachurches. Neither the legislative nor case law history points to that and frankly it would be easy to stop megachurches under RLUIPA. RLUIPA means you can’t subject religious land uses to higher standards than other comparable uses. Megachurches are easily stopped under that by standard parking and lot size restrictions. RLUIPA keeps municipalities from shutting out unpopular faiths or all houses of worship (places that try to stop them all are generally concerned with property taxes).

2 Likes

Huge missed opportunity to call the temple Teenage Wasteland IMO.

7 Likes

It’s earthquake proof, you say? And it was bankrolled by the Cheesecake Factory? They have GOT to have an underground fridge the size of Connecticut, stocked with a million Tex Mex Egg Rolls and Skinnylicious Enchiladas. When the big one hits, or the Trumpocalypse, I am heading there with my collection of ARs, so I don’t have any trouble getting in.

Who’s in?

(I call dibs on the Red Velvet Cheesecake!)

4 Likes

I grew up in Contra Costa County and I had never even heard of Saranap until now.

4 Likes

Are you disappointed?

7 Likes

Wait wait! Isn’t this a form of Cantor’s Diagonal Proof? Construct a table of all religions. If one then negates the first commandment of the first, the second commandment of the second, and so on, a new religion emerges, and it is trivial to demonstrate it is not exactly the same as any other religion. We can then add this new religion to the table, and construct a second religion, and so on, without limit, thus proving the number of possible religions is unbounded, and countably infinite.

15 Likes

I’m having trouble having trouble with this. A successful businessman decides to contributes large chunks of his profits to his church, which seems to genuinely be all about positivity, peace, and charity, and does no proselytizing. The church, in addition to the money it spends on schools and foodbanks (neither restricted to churchmembers), wants to build a large, reasonably attractive complex on a stretch of unincorporated rural land. It dutifully meets all environmental and design regulations.

The members of this group are all aging boomers. At some point they will go the way of the Shakers, and the buildings will become a small community college, or something else benign that will hep the local economy. The opponents here are nuts.

16 Likes

Eh, my take is the article is more “check out this cool, unusual building with an interesting background story” and not so much “this building is bad because of REASONS”.

5 Likes