The Cheesecake Factory has bankrolled a huge temple in an unincorporated California town

Yes. They might smite us, or laminate our firstborns, or something.
(Seriously, Rob seems to be a bit volatile these days.)

Anyway, the proposed split topic could be very interesting.

Can I get back to you?
I don’t want to post just some crap like “reasons”. It’s a complex and very interesting 1) topic. I’ll have to find some time over the weekend. I’ll also have to find my dictionary of building terms to brush up my technical English on the subject. I rarely need it, and literal translations of technical terms usually are totally wrong.

1) Well, if you’re a civil engineer it is. Honestly.

[quote=“Professor59, post:82, topic:104424”]
one of Cheesecake Factory’s bitter restaurant rivals. You’ll know which one when you spell the name of the town backwards…[/quote]

Very good!

Well, that’s my point. I see this as a conspicuous example of our deference to wealth. We tell ourselves those skyscrapers get built because they serve a worthwhile purpose for the city, for the community. It’s much more explicit when something so large is actually just a pet project.

I wasn’t, but great minds think alike, you know.

I sometimes bring up the pyramids as a way of pointing out that, if we accept Adam Smith’s idea of wealth as the ability to command the labour of others, we could probably argue that billionaires are wealthier than King Tut, wealthier than Henry VIII. They are the kings of the west, and we show them the appropriate deference.

4 Likes

Show me that members of this “church” are actually doing something wrong, and then maybe I’ll care.

In Toronto there’s an “Avenue Road”.

1 Like

The members of this group are all aging boomers. At some point they
will go the way of the Shakers, and the buildings will become a small
community college, or something else benign that will hep the local
economy. The opponents here are nuts.

More likely another thread in Reddit - Dive into anything

Thanks, I had forgotten about that street. Been there.

I first thought that “Saranap” was something spelled backwards, but I could never figure out what. Maybe I’ll try again.

" As for the sanctuary budget, according to Kaplan, Overton generously told the order, “whatever you can’t raise, I’ll help fund.”

Starting with the windows??

I don’t think it’s all that hard, as long as you’re willing to over-engineer it and spend whatever it takes. I was involved with an engineering project related to the construction of the new Cathedral in Los Angeles, which had a design requirement to last at least 500 years. They used a special blend of architectural concrete, plenty of rebar, and the structure is mounted to a rubber base-isolation system which is designed to be maintainable/replaceable. Major architectural features such as the large front doors have a stainless-steel support structure with 1/4" thick silicon bronze cladding. But even with older technology, it can be done. If that Cathedral does last 500 years as intended, it will hardly be the first one to do so.

1 Like

It’s in Pittsburgh, near 57th and Butler. In Cleveland we’re blessed with Turn and Side. Much to my chagrin, Side is and Avenue not a Street.

In Columbus, OH there is a Lane Ave. It is named after a rather wealthy family who is involved in the aviation business. I always wanted it to be Lane Ln.

In Pataskala, an outer suburb of Columbus, there is a Lois Ln. Because why not?

4 Likes

Well, yes, that was the point I was trying to make.
It’s not that it can’t be done. It’s the effort and money you’ll have to put into it, and that is a tall order. Compare your example to the effort that goes in your run-of-the-mill block of flats.

Incidentally, that’s also why I’d like to see the plans and calculations as they specify all the details that must be taken care of, such as
What kind of concrete for which part of the structure, down to the type of cement, aggregate, additives, water-to-cement ratio, which method of follow-up treatment for the green concrete.
Which type of steel for the rebars. Possible coating of that steel to prevent corrosion.
What measures are taken to delay the breakdown of the passivation layer (which usually happens due to carbonation, chloride and chemical effects), so that the reinforcement isn’t corroded and the concrete isn’t burnt off too soon.
What environmental parameters were assumed.
And that’s just the (reinforced) concrete, and not even all of it.
(For me the really interesting part is the structural design that went into it.)

Another point worth mentioning is that all the old cathedrals etc are made from one type of masonry or other, mostly using stones that were millions of years old already when the stonemasons made them into building stones.

Our experience with reinforced concrete goes back to 1867 when Monier invented it.

That’s 150 years and counting. And we’re talking about contemporary structures that are supposed to last 500 or 700 years.

Technically, quite a lot of the ancient Roman stuff is made from an early form of concrete. Popular examples are the massive foundations for the Colosseum and of course the Pantheon.
But the point still stands: Romans didn’t use reinforced concrete. And that can’t handle tensile stress, so whatever you’ll build from concrete that isn’t reinforced is still masonry from the standpoint of structural engineering. The only difference is that you are using an artificial building stone (like brick) that you can install in liquid form if you need that option.
The Rotunda of the Pantheon is engineered in a way that there is only compressive stress in it, no tensile stress. You could have built it with bricks, like a lot of other structures like it were.
The clever bit about the Pantheon and using concrete was in using different types of aggregate; the higher the Rotunda gets, the lighter the concrete gets. Because of that and it’s shape, there are only compression forces within the shell and at the base of the shell their direction is vertical. Again, you can do that with brick, but it’s a bit more complicated.

1 Like

I was looking for someone to make the reference!

Pete Townshend of The Who, who became a follower of Baba, dedicated his 1969 rock-opera Tommy to Meher Baba in the record’s gatefold.The Who’s 1971 song “Baba O’Riley” was named in part after Meher Baba, and Townshend recorded several Meher Baba tribute albums including Happy Birthday, I Am, Who Came First, and With Love.

Strangely enough, this will happen if you eat at Cheesecake Factory

3 Likes

In Melbourne: High Street Road.

2 Likes

Dude, I thought I was on BoingBoing. What is this BOingBoing, of which you speak? Is it a cool place?

But apparently not like other concrete.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.