The complicated psychology and behavioral economics of a beautiful, $700 coffee-dripper

This is the nicest spider around!

4 Likes

Dawwwwww!

Just work him into one of those little artsy Zen sandboxes and yay, living coffee table art!

2 Likes

'Cause itā€™s an ugly, unwieldy knock-off of the revered Ming the Merciless school of aesthetics?

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, given that this is Polish, I think youā€™re in the wrong forum.

2 Likes

See, that is criticism I can get behind. If I want a coffee maker that will dominate my counter it had better be either a thousand years old or run on three phase. Or both.

(But I still stand by my original point :D)

2 Likes

If there is no improvement in the quality of the coffee isnā€™t itā€™s primary function to display wealth? It is craftsmanship perhaps but not art. What would it say to other generations or cultures? I toyed with your idea at first but dismissed this as being more in the line of gold taps and marble floors for those without the bravado.

Yes! This one is not quite that old, but we can definitely fit it for three-phase! I think it probably originally burned coal, though.

5 Likes

Why is craftsmanship not art? I am not defending this particular piece, but why is a glued on ugly banksy worth six figures but a coffee maker is gauche?

Will you criticize my Waterford wine glasses, since I could get a dozen glasses from TJ Maxx for the price of one? (I have one :D) Is Art simply what one likes, and craft is what one dismisses?

5 Likes

Art is in the eye of the credit card holder.

6 Likes

Letā€™s do this. Can we attach one of these to the top?

5 Likes

If youā€™re comparing this thing coffeemaker-to-coffeemaker, and being pragmatic about it, sure, the $5 cone filter is a better deal, etc etc. But as a piece of art that happens to also make coffee, $700 isnā€™t bad at all. If this thing expresses your personal aesthetic and you think itā€™ll enhance your home/office by putting it on display, sure, go for it. Folks spend more than that on art for their walls that has no practical use beyond expressing aesthetics.

4 Likes

This thread needs less spiders, more Speedster!!

4 Likes

Looks to me like a way to get a cold cup of coffee, by the time you drip into a cold thin walled beaker. Iā€™ll take the ā€œform follows functionā€ of an Aeropress, where I microwave my water in my mug, pour it into the press, and 1 minute later press coffee back into my still hot mug.

I was trained as an industrial designer and think this thing is ā€œmore is moreā€ dopey. The only thing going for it is I think itā€™s more moral selling something $700 they donā€™t really need to a wealthy person than selling 700 $1 items to poor people that they donā€™t need either.

For the ancient Greeks there was no clear distinction between art and craftsmaship Then the bohemian concept of art intervened to try and make a clear distinction. And craftsmanship was replaced in many instances by design in the twentieth century.

If there is any difference it is in the narratives that they produce and is therefore neurological. There is evidence to suggest that the brain processes literary and genre novels differently for instance. (I will look for a link later.)Possibly it is the same for art/craftsmanship and design.

Then again in all societies there is money sloshing around looking to be spent.

4 Likes

notes on the iikone:

• nice to see some straightforward one-upmanship, on appleā€™s old ā€œi-ā€ prefix. It is indeed a ā€œkoneā€ (or ā€œconeā€ for those who prefer uncool spelling). If apple had made a cone, it could have been the i-cone, so the i-i-kone, is apple cool squared!
  • I had to do a google image search to figure out how this would not tip over. In the shot here, I was convinced it had two legs and was held up by magic. The third leg was an enormous disappointment
  • I approve of having beautiful things in your kitchen, although this doesnā€™t do it for me
2 Likes

Youā€™ll drink your nitrite-poisoned, instant coffee and youā€™ll like it!

1 Like

I confess, I doā€¦
I got a bunch of these in a corporate gift basket from Nestle and gotdammit if I donā€™t like themā€¦ a lot. With cocoa.

4 Likes

Nestle puts a lot of research money into their instant coffee. Since I can only have so much caffeine I have a jar of instant decaf at work and Tasters Choice is the best stuff so far.

2 Likes

God! It was Nescafe original I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Maybe the taste of the poison froth on the top of the water is in some way ameliorated by the other two ingredients, which Iā€™m assuming are a milk-like powder and sweetener-like powder.

Also. +1 for adding chocolate to coffee. Also, Maltesers mix.

1 Like

Ooooh I would drink that!! (off to google suppliers to Toronto)

And of course the cocoa is Nestle too.

Seriously, if someone offers you a corporate gift basket from Nestle just RUN!! Its a trap!! A sweet sweet trap!

2 Likes