The complicated psychology and behavioral economics of a beautiful, $700 coffee-dripper

Never had a gift basket i didn’t enjoy.

2 Likes

“Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” William Morris
Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

3 Likes

The French accent voiceover (honh-honh-honh) is what makes the clip.

2 Likes

Oh my heavens, that thing is amazing, and also $11,000.

That looks beautiful. It makes me think of the long pulls to draw up tap beer from the cellar in British pubs. And yes, it’s a satisfying thing when you pull just right.

1 Like

(…I have an Angram, the tap of which you speak)

2 Likes

…Which would be me. Give it to me. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Well…of course. Of course we can do that, and we should do it right away.

2 Likes

Not even Gold Blend?

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:
Well it is better than the Kcups they have at work, and way cheaper. Mostly it is not gonna get me over wired and is coffeelike enough to make me happy.

2 Likes

On a long hike my sometime knucklehead hiking partner would make us instant coffee with maybe three times the recommended dose, after which we would both vomit from the ungodly taste, after which he would remake the coffee to the correct mix (leaving us with coffee that was only mildly shitty-tasting). He bought Tasters Choice, and I have yet to disassociate the godawful taste with the brand.

2 Likes

Things you make yourself are more valuable to you (Dan Ariely/Ikea Effect) bring more joy (Don Norman/Emotional Design). We perceive the output of things that bring us joy as being of higher quality than the output of things that do not (Placebo).

Why assume that it’s automatically subjective?

Things people make themselves are often of far better quality because they have no incentive to cut the corners which most manufacturers do. Also, they are more easily customizable, if not unique. Why do you suppose there is currently the sometimes exploited and mocked trend of seeking the work of artisans? People develop skill and craft by actually buckling down and making things.

As for the $700 price, IMO it’s just a number. If it seems unreasonable, the first step might be to estimate how much it would cost you to make the same thing. If your answer is “I would never make the same thing!” then move on, it isn’t for you anyway.

5 Likes

Sadly, I don’t think we’re the only aholes to overspend on dumb stuff we don’t need…

2 Likes

Giles?

8 Likes

Now I is confused.

Is Taster’s Choice the same thing as Gold Blend?

2 Likes

I have no clue… Maybe? Same parent company? Nescafe owns both brands?

Still… GILES!?!

2 Likes

This is now a Tony Head Thread.

11 Likes

Also, instant coffee is good for those of us who only need one cup and whose significant other can’t stand coffee.

1 Like

What if it might be useful one day, like my Big Box Of Weird Wire?

4 Likes

Is that the root of the old folk widom about “money can’t buy you happiness”, I wonder?