The Creature from the Sandpits, a teenage prank that's endured for 60 years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/14/the-creature-from-the-sandpits.html

3 Likes

Prank? Ha, that’s just what THEY want you to believe.

10 Likes

@pesco is clearly self publicizing here…

/s in case there is any doubt.

6 Likes

It’s just a monster from the id.

8 Likes

As in Forbidden Planet? I don’t think Robby the Robot could navigate those sandpits too well. He’d be awesome for making moonshine to drink while frogging, though.

5 Likes

Dammit! They found my secret lair!

7 Likes

I remember saying “Look! A two-headed cat!” at a cat show once. A little girl next to me said “REALLY?” It was two cats curled up together so that it sort of did look like one cat with two heads.

heh heh heh

5 Likes

It was just a weather balloon.

10 Likes

puts on sunglasses

Now I just need you to look at this little red light here.

8 Likes

Ah the good old days of frogging at the sandpits.

4 Likes

Robby wasn’t the monster from the id. The Monster From The Id was the monster from the id.

/pedantry

3 Likes

Kitty from the Sandbox.

3 Likes

somewhere, there’s an old scooby-do villain thinking, “dammit, they are on to me…”

1 Like

Or just Venus.

1 Like

I think I am a Men in Black now. I no longer have recognizable fingerprints, my identity has been sanitized.

2 Likes

Friends of friends did a UFO hoax when I was a teenager that lived for several years. I have been jealous of them ever since. I suspect that the legend died out long ago but it might still be active. (legend itself not worth repeating - there was a UFO, that’s about it)

2 Likes

Interesting. I used to go froggin’ at “the Pits”, too (an area in San Pedro Swamp). But we were always stalked by the “Moss Lady” monster. I wonder how common an occurrence the combination of fogging, pits, and monsters is.

Yup. I meant Robby would be a cool frogging companion but he’d probably get stuck in the sand.

3 Likes

The first truly big budget sci-fi film and based on some hi-class lit too!

1 Like

I like the story of Los Angeles absolutely freaking out during a blackout because they’d never seen the Milky Way before.

2 Likes