The "crying white supremacist" was a parking meter officer harasser (Colbert Report 2014)

Well yes, they are very clearly racist, which is a mental health issue* all by itself.

*Not sure if it technically is, but if not it really should be, these people need help before they hurt others.

3 Likes

not on my dime

As a parking meter enthusiast, I approve. No quarter, therefore big fat ticket!

Old Methbutt. That’s what we’ll call him.

1 Like

I would appreciate not being thrown under the bus just because you cannot believe that it’s possible for a non-mentally ill person to be an ASSHOLE. That is all it takes to be a racist or a murderer or a rapist.

As to diagnoses: if you* are a mental health professional you presumably know not tho diagnose a public figure (unless, perhaps, they are a clear and present danger to the entire world like President Trump), and if you are not one such then you don’t know enough.

You can’t teach schizophrenia. You can’t teach manic-depression.

* I mean here the general/generic you.

7 Likes

These people may have mental illness or they may not. It’s irrelevant to their being racist. The problem is not their minds but the ideas their minds hold - a memetic disorder if you will.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/emkayanders/status/897907963444068354

7 Likes

And the best part is… Now that he’s been outed as a racist “this will never stop”. There are no safe spaces for him except in the bosom of his Neo-Nazi and KKK buddies.

So which GOP Congressional district will he win?

4 Likes

He’s obviously a insecure guy, the ideal type of person for these extreme movements. So he moved from libertarianism to the extreme right. Doesn’t seem that big of a leap to me.

2 Likes

Of course, nothing to object here!

My non-professional, internet-couch-driven diagnosis of some of these characters is based on having seen this before. There is more than the hate speech, there is a trance-like excitement.

Absolutely.

I didn’t mean that mental issues = racism; but those specific characters' excitement ~= mental issues.

There also another level, I guess more rooted on human nature. We are, in general, more prone to believe in false positives.

“The jews are taking your country” — that’s absurd. But wait, there’s a lot of people talking about, maybe that’s true? Better safe than sorry!

People in general have very low tolerance to ideas that conflict with their beliefs, preferring not being too analytical — we need simple models to interpret the world. You mix all this stuff and get bad results.

I think the challenge is to help possibly good people who might be caught into real asshole’s agendas.

The B is for Bernard. Saw it in a copyright notice one time. (And more recently, I heard how to pronounce his last name. Woo.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.