The Devil and Antonin Scalia

[Permalink]

1 Like

Is this guy jerking our chain? Surely one of the highest authorities in the land, a paragon of reason, should have a slightly more nuanced vision of wrong than a guy in a funny costume going around possessing swine and whispering things in peopleā€™s ears? So who is this guy, and what has he done with the real Supreme Court Justice?

9 Likes

Interviewer: Well, youā€™re saying the Devil is Ā­persuading people to not believe in God. Couldnā€™t there be other reasons to not believe?

Scalia: Well, there certainly can be other reasons. But it certainly favors the Devilā€™s desires. I mean, cā€™mon, thatā€™s the explanation for why thereā€™s not demonic possession all over the place. That always puzzled me. What happened to the Devil, you know? He used to be all over the place. He used to be all over the New Testament.

I had to read to read that twice. ā€œThatā€™s the explanation for why thereā€™s not demonic possession all over the place.ā€

So, because we do not see the Devil everywhere interfering and being a bastard like he ā€œusedā€ to, this is just evidence that heā€™s gotten ā€œwilierā€ than he used to be, like 3000 years ago.

So, for Scalia, absence of evidence is evidence of presence.

32 Likes

I sincerely hope that Antonin Scalia lives long enough to see the entirety of his nutball theocratic judicial activism overturned.

7 Likes

Actually, this idea is neither new nor original. C.S. Lewis articulated the same thing more than 50 years ago, and Iā€™m willing to bet itā€™s older than that.

2 Likes

Nino is one of those people that watches ā€œThe Passion Of The Christā€ and thinks he read the Bible.

Satan is the voice of temptation in Genesis, And that is a story that predates Judaism and the concept of Satan anyway, nor is the serpent-Satan connection established in ancient Hebrew versions.

Then he has a friendly conversation with God and convinces God to slaughter Jobā€™s family to test his faith, then Satan is the voice of temptation for Christ in the wilderness. No physical power there, nor does Satan even have a physical body.

John talks a lot about Satan in his various letters as the personification of temptation, but not an actual entity.

Mel Gibson uses Johns themes in ā€œThe Passion Of The Christā€ where Satan controls Judas. But remember the crucifixion of Christ was Godā€™s will, not a Satanic plot. There is no theological basis to suggest that Satan is powerful enough to kill Godā€™s son on a whim, unless maybe youā€™re an actual Satan worshiper.

Then there is this whole ā€œLeft Behindā€/Book Of Revelation scenario which Iā€™ll believe when I see it.

Otherwise, the mention of ā€œdemonsā€ seems to be describing schizophrenia or maybe bath salts.

According the Bible, Satan gets almost no screen time and his power is mainly limited to whispering in peopleā€™s ear. And Satan never manifests anything resembling a human body.

9 Likes

ANYONE IN PUBLIC SERVICE that is THAT bugfucking crazy needs to be removed from office in a straightjacket.

18 Likes

Since nobody else said it yet: I, too, believe in the devil, and his name is Antonin Scalia.

19 Likes

What?

Samuel L Jackson and Charley Murphy as white gangster wannabes mashing up Charles Rumsfeld and Pulp Fiction

5 Likes

If there is no Devil, what the hell happened to my laundry?

2 Likes

Wow, olā€™ Antonin may have read ā€˜The Screwtape Lettersā€™ at some point in the past and vaguely remembered part of it. Is it a bad thing that this increases my respect for the intellectual capacity of our esteemed supreme justicicar?

Hot Stuff is A devil, not THE devil.

2 Likes

I thought the Devil was in the details. Where are the details?

8 Likes

Ugh. More lazy article titling from boingboing.net, what are you guys protesting Strunk and White now? The correct grammar is ā€œThe Devil, Antonin Scaliaā€

8 Likes

Heā€™s a right wing tool appointed by Ronald Reagan and currently working for the Koch Bros. and their cohorts. They like to put ignorant, stupid people in high offices. It makes the corporate takeover of the US govā€™t so much easier to pull off.

10 Likes

Maybe the devil is now a fat type A asshole in a black robe and an attitude?

9 Likes

Was just thinking along those lines. Now that he mentions it, Iā€™ve also never seen the Devil and Scalia in the same room. Sounds like sound evidence to me!

Damn Iā€™m too old to play Abigail Williams though. Iā€™ll have to go for Sister Jeanne. Now that I think of it, that made for a better movie anyway.

2 Likes

If onlyā€¦ There are so many people with shocking amounts of ā€œpowerā€ that believe in this fucking hokum.
Your ordinary every day schlub, ok. But someone who had to at SOME point in their life display some pretty serious smarts? I donā€™t get itā€¦

3 Likes

You may be an ambassador to England or France
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls

But youā€™re gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
Youā€™re gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But youā€™re gonna have to serve somebody

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/gotta-serve-somebody#ixzz2h5btZIyY

1 Like

His worldview astounds me. Fuck. Nuts.