The Doctor's New Companion

My favourite Doctor in the modern era, who is also in my favourite scene in all of Scifi. All of it. You know which one I mean.

And my favourite film is Stalker so don’t assume I have no range. :wink:

Will be interested to see what mysterious force of nature the new person embodies this time.

It’s all been downhill for Capaldi since Lair of the White Worm, if you ask me. Same’s true for Hugh Grant.

3 Likes

What the hell are the others saying to sharks to provoke them?

1. Is that a dorsal fin, or are you just happy to see me?
  2. Aren’t sharks just emo dolphins?
  3. Your favorite Doctor sucks!
8 Likes

8 Likes

I don’t!

1 Like

Remember “The Alternative Factor”?

What if the alien mad scientist was the protagonist?

And the Federation astronauts were the guest stars?

3 Likes

I loved that episode of Star Trek. That’s a great method. Are there other Dr. Who arcs about alternate realities or timelines? Like Mirror, Mirror in STOS or the alt. reality Borg takeover in NG?

1 Like

There was some amount of that during the David Tennant era.

But the good-Lazarus-vs.-evil-Lazarus thing is more like the relationship between the Doctor and the Master. The Master has been a recurring villain since the '70s.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Isn’t it the last episode, the one I made all the fuss about in the previous questions thread?

1 Like

That VR episode of Murder, She Wrote?

1 Like

I liked Colin Baker mainly because he wasn’t Peter Davison, who I found practically unwatchable. (Strangely, I found his practically-identical persona in A Very Peculiar Practice to be brilliant.)

What about Campion?

Yes, I liked Campion very much, and was sad the series had so few episodes, but I think he played the Doctor as a much wetter character. I also liked All Creatures.

1 Like

I liked Davison in HHGttG, but his role was brief:

3 Likes

You mean his role was beef.

5 Likes

Oh!

It really was stellar, wasn’t it? But not the right starting point for someone who hasn’t seen any of the new series.

2 Likes

Inferno is quite good. I usually tolerate “alternate universe” stories as just an excuse for the actors to have some fun. But Inferno tries to make the most of that device.

I went on a binge of IIRC the first three seasons of Pertwee a while back. One thing I rarely hear remarked upon is that these stories had probably the best stunt work in all of Doctor Who. Believable fights, real falls and real crashes. Real helicopter stunts.

Another thing that stuck with me, not having seen these for like 20 years or so, is how effective Caroline John was as Liz Shaw. I was spoiled by her charisma and intelligence for those few episodes. I thought it was lame following her up with Katy Manning as Jo Grant, being a nice but relatively credulous and slow-witted companion for the Doctor to explain things to.

3 Likes

Not just a huge fan, a fan who was there for the very first episode, as a kid.

3 Likes

Not quite the first episode; if he started at 9 as reported here, that would have already been the Troughton years. (Not surprisingly, Capaldi’s Doctor has some strong traces of Troughton.)

3 Likes