The Dow is on track for its worst weekly slide since the 2008 financial crisis

Not enough time in my day to waste 6:48 of it on Maher, thanks!

14 Likes

PROTIP: When called out for being insensitive, insisting that Bill Maher said the same thing wonā€™t help

13 Likes

Yeah, no. As much as I hate Trump and enjoy seeing him get triggered by dips in the stock market, an economic downturn like this hurts everybody ā€“ not just the super rich. In fact, it hurts the super rich far less than normal people because in general they have plenty of wealth they can tap into from other sources.

Watching my retirement funds get decimated by the market downturn is definitely not a wonderful experience. I donā€™t have big piles of gold, massive real estate holdings, and a fleet of yachts I can fall back on when the market tanks. The only thing I can really take solace in right now is things will likely turn around within a few months. But itā€™s still incredibly stressful.

If you think this will affect Trumpā€™s base, youā€™re sadly mistaken. If anything a crap economy will make his cult more desperate and likely to follow him as he promises that heā€™ll make everything better (if only it wasnā€™t for the ā€œdeep stateā€ and Democrats foiling his plans at every turn).

7 Likes

It has a chance to affect his base but, the bigger gains come from the independents or moderates that were at the town hall the other night saying: ā€œThe economy is doing good, why shouldnā€™t we elect Trump to another termā€. The fact that people are dying from mass shootings every day, that people work 2-3 jobs because they arenā€™t getting payed enough, that people cannot afford their medications or basic medical treatments and die because they canā€™t afford it. That literally we have a student debt market about to implode and crash the economy anyway, while millionaires/billionaires can refinance their yachts, yet kids are punished for going to college.

And this was going on before Trump got elected. The fact that this is getting worse seems to only be making him more popular.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think it getting worse is making him more popular, I think people whoā€™re ignorant think life is getting better because the stock market goes up or down. I recently graduated college and when they said the economy was doing great 4 months ago, I still couldnā€™t get hired. Whether the economy goes up or down doesnā€™t affect average people when all the wealth is being sucked up by these monopolies, oligarchs, etc. If a crash/recession means it alienates those moderates from ā€œThe economy is good, so lets re-elect orange hitlerā€ argument, so be it.

3 Likes

Somewhat refreshing Trump blaming Hilary and Obama less these days shifting to ā€˜Those darn Democratsā€™ in general for all his woes.

ā€œI think the financial markets are very upset when they look at the Democratic candidates standing on that stage making fools out of themselves, when they look at the statements madeā€¦ I think that has a huge effect,ā€ Trump said.

2 Likes

Ya I know rightā€¦ why take responsibility for your own policies when you can blame it on people youā€™ve been saying all along canā€™t win?

1 Like

Yeah - heā€™s a misogynistic, transphobic asshole.

8 Likes
1 Like

These are people who stayed onboard when tariffs ruined their farms. When those factories he said he saved moved to China.

You donā€™t win by getting his voters - but by motivating yours.

20 Likes

Moderates are not the democratic parties voters. Thereā€™s a moderate voter above in the cnn town hall video who says we should vote for Trump: ā€œBecause the economy is goodā€. Exact quote is something like: ā€œThe economy is doing good, why should we vote for someone else?ā€.

I met a guy at the coffee shop - thatā€™s data.

6 Likes

At a CNN Town Hall who had enough conviction to research, nonetheless show up at a CNN Town Hall. You ever try to go to 1? Itā€™s VERY hard to get into those.

This is horrible news - Bernie will never be able to retire and have to eat cat food.

6 Likes

Ah - heā€™s a magic guy.

4 Likes

Just because people CITE the economy as a reason theyā€™re planning to vote for Trump doesnā€™t mean the current state of the economy has anything to do with the ACTUAL reasons theyā€™re planning to vote for Trump, which they may not even be consciously aware of themselves.

Also I happen to believe the act of voting for Trump disqualifies people from adopting the ā€œmoderateā€ label.

14 Likes

Ghoulish.

5 Likes

This is not a reason to celebrate. I want to see Trump fail as often and as hard as possible but like his certain bungling of the coronavirus, this tanking of the markets is hurting real people, not just those that are rich. If that makes you happy, then clearly thereā€™s nothing more to discuss here.

7 Likes

Trumps hurting people every day heā€™s in office. Heā€™s taking all types of assistance away from people here in PA. PA is called a rustbelt state for a reason, thereā€™s literally no industry where I live. Heā€™s attempted to take away medicaid, food stamps, and meals on wheels for the elderly. Meanwhile, he racks up millions of dollars in charges to the golf course and to his hotels on the taxpayers tab. Anything that will remove this man from office is a good thing. A recession is an event the country can recover from, what trump is doing to this country? that type of damage cannot be easily undone. I got out of high school and the economy collapsed, It sucked but, the country survived.