The Education of Louis: The Last Action Figures

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/28/the-education-of-louis-the-l.html

Tom the Dancing Bug, IN WHICH Louis of Earth must think fast to keep secret the ways of the Star Wars

17 Likes

Use the force, Louis!

13 Likes

Delightfully bittersweet.

13 Likes

“These are not the action figures you’re looking for.”

14 Likes

I recall having IG-88 commandeered by a bully on the bus, when I was in first grade. I wish I’d had Louis’ quick-thinking skills then!

5 Likes

Some evil parents would tease their boys by calling them “Star Wars dollies”.

5 Likes

Well, finally a TDB I could really relate to…

2 Likes

Before the Star Wars era, “action figures” were really doll sized, though. I had a Six Million Dollar Man and some Star Trek figures in the mid 1970s – they were like a foot tall. As I recall, there were also some Star Wars figures that were made in that scale, but they weren’t as successful as the smaller ones.

7 Likes

Finally one that is just fun, not dripping of anger with the current US regime.

5 Likes

The original GI Joe dolls were full size as well, and were dressed like dolls in actual cloth. The concept of the all plastic mini-figures was something of a revolution in toy design and didn’t happen until later.

6 Likes

Adventure People pre-dated the Star Wars figurines.

12 Likes

What, no love for the 6" Major Matt Mason line?

3 Likes

Mark Hamill had this same dilemma, I think.

4 Likes

Hey - my cousins had that Argo and the collie! I never knew…

4 Likes

I had the whole set when I was a kid. I still have the pontoon boat that detaches from the convertible float plane.

3 Likes

Poor snow-flake.

I don’t say it doesn’t deserve it, just that those comics haven’t been very fun, just depressing.

That’s fair! My favorite by far are the fun-pak comics, but I don’t really get tired of the ‘smash Trump in the face’ ones…

2 Likes

I also like the fun-pak ones. I absolutely cannot get enough “Actually it’s Frankenstein’s monster” jokes.

8 Likes

Micronauts, roll out!

2 Likes