The electable Mr Corbyn

I’m not British so I may be misunderstanding this article, but it says the Tories’ internal polling says their best-case scenario is likely a majority of 80–wouldn’t that be less than their current majority, since according to this page they currently have 101 more seats than Labour?

Normally when they talk about majority it’s over the entire house of commons (I.e. the number above the half way point). There are a significant number of MPs who are neither Tory not Labour - mostly SNP.

1 Like

Don’t worry, even if he hadn’t, he’d be making proclamations about the election and making up lies that anyone local knows is full of crap.

Just the way he does in every other country.

I stay out of politics in any nation that isn’t my own…not sure why anyone would do anything else.

1 Like

Because the government that most strongly affects my environment, economy, culture and geopolitical security is not my own. Such is life in an imperialistic/colonialist world.

14 Likes

I, for one, take interest in everything that can affect me, even if it’s politics in another country. You think the Iranian elections can’t impact your life? Think again, think harder.

10 Likes

When I was in Wales, I saw a number of ‘vote conservative’ boards, but oddly, the majority were posted in front of/on the side of closed/derelict/boarded-up buildings.

I thought this to undermine their own message, somewhat.

2 Likes

(The remainder were on medium-sized ‘country piles’, and, well, no surprise there.)

This will be an interesting test of a new mode of politics.

Traditional political strategy for mainstream left-wing parties is to snuggle up as close as possible to the policy of the right wing party while maintaining a shred of “leftness”. It’s valid political strategy, but we saw a spectacular failure of this strategy in the American election, because more of the same old conservative insider-driven shit vs. bat-shit-craziness just isn’t a particularly motivating choice.

The Canadian Liberal Party broke with this strategy and offered people a legitimately moderate left-wing choice, and won spectacularly. France broke with this strategy and won decently. A win by Corbin would be a huge validation of the paradigm break.

Perhaps we will only have to put up with the current madness for 1,340 days more. There is hope.

2 Likes

When did that happen?

2 Likes

Right? Electing a wealthy banker sounds like a promise of same old-same old to me.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of brave people here pointing at polls as if they’re definitely going to be accurate. Did last year teach you nothing?

Personally I’m anticipating a massive tory landslide, and hoping I’m proved pleasantly wrong.

I find it particularly egregious to do so when you are in a position of power and have been known to lie overtly about facts, especially when called on it in court and claim “it isn’t really ‘lying’, it is my journalistic idea of hyperbole even though all the facts I’m claiming to be 100% true are made up whole cloth”…

Paraphrased for ‘hyperbole’, but essentially when he has said.

I don’t care for ‘journalists’ lying about any candidate, even when I actually agree on their ultimate goal – because they actually make it harder to get to this goal as a result of their fiction.

1 Like

In court?

2 Likes

Just to be clear: the subject of your post is supposed to be the uber-powerful Cory @doctorow?

2 Likes

I notice he hasn’t bothered to acknowledge the apology. Douche. I hope Trudeau gets caught with his fingers in the till.

1 Like

At the moment the polls are being spun to try to get the vote out. The Conservatives are worried that their elderly base won’t bother, expecting a landslide. Labour need those under-35 votes.

I am expecting a Conservative majority of around 100 because UKIP has basically collapsed back into the Conservatives. I am also expecting Labour to win the 2022 election once the longer term effects become felt. At times of trouble people say one thing to pollsters, and vote for the most authoritarian figure in the box.

Isn’t this the exact opposite of what happened with brexit and trump though? Polls said people would vote for the safe establishment candidate/option, but ended up voting to ‘stick it to the man’.

I disagree. Trump was the figure that most appealed to authoritarians (typical dominant alpha-male behaviour) and Brexit was presented in terms of things like “Escaping the EUSSR” with the right wing tabloids telling people that they needed to “get their sovereignty back”. Nationalism is an authoritarian religion substitute.

1 Like

I don’t know what that means nor why it was a response to me!

Then again, I don’t know anything about this election other than I hope that the folks get the PM they want / need. Not my country, and that was my point about Doctorow…he seems to feel that it is his job to tell EVERYONE around the world who to vote for, and often lying about the reasons why because it fits with his authoritarian beliefs that people don’t need the truth, they need propaganda.

So no clue what that was directed to me! I’m staying out of this election…