The emergent complexity of Hexopolis: a strategy game with infinite possibilities

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/09/hexopolis.html

5 Likes

Am I wrong in thinking that the prongs on the snowflakes are likely to snap off? Otherwise it looks like my kinda game – big fan of emergent complexity.

1 Like

It looks like laser cut MDF. I don’t know how thick it is. 3mm is a common thickness you can cut it pretty well with smaller lasers. At 3mm the snowflakes are not likely to break just slotting them in and out of things, but it would not take much to break them if it gets wedged and you force it, or if it is at the wrong angle and you press a coffee cup down pretty hard.

I would guess it is on the low end of durable, but still durable.

If they use 6mm MDF it is going to be very sturdy, but probably requires something like a 40W diode laser to cut. At 6mm it can also make it more work to long up two parts that slot together, so if they go with 3mm it may have more to do with keeping things playable then saving the money (oh, the 6mm MDF also costs more per square foot!)

1 Like

Another great emergent complexity type game is Pente - very simple rules that can become very complex quickly with two seasoned players. It can be played on any grid with two colors of pieces just like Go.

2 Likes

We used to play this endlessly in highschool between exams; eons ago. I still have my game in its tube waiting for more play.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.