The EST Shovel: The World’s Most Capable Adventure Tool

This appears to be macho bullshit.

And why would you have the holes for spanner function running vertically up the head of the shovel for soil to fall through? Run them horizontally across the top.

Correct. It is disruptive

5 Likes

If the metric is number of holes dug & filled or sheer amount of dirt moved, this is the one that worked best so far for me:
66270-BW-Klappspaten-Heavy-Duty

6 Likes

When I hear that something is going to ‘disrupt’ an industry I always hear it as ‘undermine’ so a shovel is more appropriate that most

4 Likes

True.

1 Like
3 Likes

This reminded me inevitably of Dr. Amp’s Gold Shit-Digging Shovel, $29.99. Accept no substitutes.

4 Likes

Right? A $120 bottle opener? Sign me up!

4 Likes

Being on the other side of the atlantic, I looked up your Dohiker shovel on the US amazon site. According to the description there, it includes even more interesting capabilities!

Among them: functions like “mangnesia rod” (good for forcibly settling stomachaches, I presume) and “fire ice cream”, about which I am deeply curious.

It also has a “deep cereal handle”, which is no doubt very useful for camp breakfasts in very large bowls.

Frankly, these translation artifacts are barely more ridiculous than the video assertion that the EST unit has been “hardened with Carbon Steel”.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I note that it also has a ‘nail pullover’, which should offer extra protection if you end up using the tool to fend off zombies.

To be clear, I knew about the Dohiker one because I bought one about a year ago as a small shovel that I can leave in my car. I wouldn’t use it in a real survival situation, but it’s reasonably solid.

It does slightly wind me up that you can crowdfund a slightly redesigned existing product, even if it is better built.

And shouldn’t it be The Forum Shovel? They did rebrand themselves after all.

2 Likes

The amount of testosterone in this ad is disturbing. It… I dunno, it just is.

So how is this exactly better than a sharpened $10 surplus entrenching tool and $15 in separate survival gear in a pouch? I bet that tubular aluminum handle crumples at the slightest off axis force.

2 Likes

i guess i’m showing my age, my first thought reading the headline was “huh! erhard seminar training makes hand tools now?”

Depending on how hard you swing.

What this promo really needs is some zombie-dispatching footage.

I just put this in my shopping cart. Gonna camp in Alaska, so why not? Fire ice cream sounds good!

Ha! I get the reference here! My soon-to-be-ex at the time got me to waste that weekend. Geez, what tool I was. Didn’t do squat, didn’t save any relationship. Just a wasted, stupid weekend. Landmark education, my rump.

Lighters make good bottle openers too. However, bic lighters when wet don’t really work and in some damp/wet situations having a fire starter with magnesium can make fire when lighters cannot. Some people (not me) are really good at getting fires going with the firestarters in bad conditions. I think redundancy is good if you are really counting on getting a fire started remotely. I always carry a bic and start most fires with one but adding the sparker is not a bad idea.

As an ex-drinker I think it’s funny that everything has to have a bottle opener on it and it counts as an extra tool. Who hikes with bottled beer? lol. If you really need to bring beer, cans are lighter and crushable to pack out. Whiskey is a better option or just skip the booze and bring a gram of flower if you need intoxication. Not on a high horse - I get it, people love their beer - but I can get a bottle open without a shovel.

But yeah, I might get one anyway :slight_smile: looks like a good zombie head splitter and you do need to bury your poops and as tough as my back country knife is I don’t want to dig holes with it if I can help it.

Agreed, duplicate fire starters is necessity, oddly enough i have never touched my backups. Probably not getting out as much as i should be.

I think the interesting thing about this tool and the marketing is the contrast. It is marketed for serious adventuring but it is going to appeal more to the novelty shopper. Those zombie chopper tools were a great marketing idea, i bet they sold a ton of that stuff.

1 Like