The EST Shovel: The World’s Most Capable Adventure Tool

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/08/the-est-shovel-the-worlds.html

3 Likes

The sharpened entrenching tool; popular with trench fighters since 1914.

I can see how this would appeal to chaps who have been tasked with “taking care” of someone by their Capo. It would mean only having to carry one tool in to the forest.

12 Likes

VINNIE: Geez, I dunno, should I saw you to death, stab you, or just bury you alive? So many choices. . . .
NUNZIO: Hey! It’s got a compass in the stock! You can find your way out of the pine barrows! This thing’s got everything!
VINNIE: Huh, didn’t even notice. Thanks Nunzio! For that, we’ll try stabbing. Nice and quick, and I can see how easily blood washes off.

11 Likes

I can’t believe you just got me to watch a commercial for a fucking shovel.

21 Likes

Way to bury the lede.

18 Likes

I was ok until their tool list included a shovel and a trowel. I feel like it takes more than a handle change to differentiate the two.*

That said, it looks durable and usable.

*I’m no shovel expert

3 Likes

Adventure!

12 Likes

But does it have the stag-horn handle?

8 Likes

Why carry a hand axe, hatchet, or this shovel when a knife is lighter? I can baton through wood in a controlled manner without too much additional effort, and if I have to hike any distance I’ll appreciate the weight savings.

Oh I’m still going to buy this, because it’s freaking cool. But I’m not sure it can really change my life.

2 Likes

I have started lighting my fires with a lighter. They are crazy lightweight, last multiple seasons, and are available in any convenience store.

Now if I just had a method for breaking 1" branches and finding elusive kindling in a forest I would be all set!

9 Likes

had room in his pack for a bottle of beer, but not a lighter

15 Likes

When I saw that it was made from “420” hardened steel, I felt I understood everything.

9 Likes

Can’t wait to see what Wranglerstar makes of this.

2 Likes

Needed to save weight after packing the adventure shovel.

2 Likes

Priorities.

1 Like

Will TSA allow it when I carry my backpack onto an airplane?

3 Likes

The tool of a high-impact camper. For what is all this digging, hacking and slashing needed? A small multi-tool, lighter and a fork are the only tools I carry.

1 Like

20 Likes

They appear to have created a slightly updated, and probably better quality, version of something that’s been available for ages:

I wouldn’t call it revolutionary

2 Likes

Wow EST is really branching out, looking forward to the Scientology axe

5 Likes