The evolution of the "baseball game equality" meme

This highlights though that the issue is more complex than a simple meme.

The top two examples are all IDEALS.

I mean let’s look at taxes. For the most part, taxes have an equity scheme. Those with more pay a higher percentage of taxes, and those with less pay a smaller percentage all the way down to done. It scales. But the reality is that there are so many loop holes that it is neither equality nor equity that we have.

So in short, no matter which scheme we set up, both of which would be more fair than what we currently have, be prepared for SOME people to game the system any way they can.

1 Like

The third one illustrates something Conservatives say they believe in: do things our way and everybody gets rich! More boxes for everybody! Except actual Conservatism would have the tall guy getting all the boxes.

6 Likes

I want to redo the image like this:

The tall guy’s legs have been forcibly amputated, improperly so and without anesthetic. He’s bleeding out and will be dead in moments.

The shortest guy has been given, free of charge, 6 million dollar bionic legs by the government, making him tall enough to see over the fence. But he’s sitting on the ground with his back to the fence.

The middle-height guy has turned all of the boxes into a shelter and is living next to the fence, scavenging half-eaten nachos and soft pretzels from the trash after the game.

But seriously: wanna know the most important social commentary regarding the image? Not all of them are even “guys”: one is Trans, and one self-identifies as a cat.

Question your assumptions, people!!!

7 Likes

The fence isn’t government. The fence is capitalism.

The boxes are government.

17 Likes

Not sure what team you follow, but my 12 year old daughter and I have been going to Citi Field in Queens for the past six years or so and have only once had a bad experience, and that was due not to a drunk guy but just a jerk. Citi Field allows you to bring in whatever food you want in soft containers, and they never give you grief over bringing in water bottles. If you time your bathroom breaks right, its not an issue.

All in all, we love going to Citi Field. Much better than Shea Stadium was.

Maybe have the tall guy with a glove up catching a home run ball.

3 Likes

The guy who wrote, “This is fucking stupid” over the picture did so because he is a conservative and believes these damned thieves should be arrested for viewing a game they didn’t pay for.

3 Likes

See if I were drawing this, the tall guy would be beating the medium guy over the head with his box. Meanwhile the short guy would be saying “uh, thanks for the nice boxes and all but I hate watching baseball. Anyone want to trade?”

1 Like

I think it was living near a ball park that made me not want to pay to see a ball game. If you’re around the baseball crowd every time you come home from work, and if you can see a baseball game every time there’s a home game, you really don’t have the urge to go to the ball park.

I’m a White Sox fan and try to get out to the Cell at least one game a year. We are probably the white trash of all baseball fans, so my experiences are not representative. Also, to clarify, if someone’s acting drunk and annoying, I usually assume they’d be annoying anyway and are just using the alcohol as an excuse.

2 Likes

For the win! [quote=“LearnedCoward, post:29, topic:86672”]
Also, to clarify, if someone’s acting drunk and annoying, I usually assume they’d be annoying anyway and are just using the alcohol as an excuse.
[/quote]

3 Likes

The short guy catches it when he’s standing on the two boxes. Then the medium-sized guy cries unfair because the short guy had two boxes, and then the tall guy says the ball is rightfully his because he gave the short guy his box.

5 Likes

It’s open to interpretation.

Keep in mind though, that getting rid of the fence (whether it represents government or capitalism) eliminates the need for the boxes.

I really like this comic though. It’s almost a type of political Rorschach test.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, libertarians are wondering why a bunch of parasites are hanging out trying to take advantage of the fruits of the players’ labors without paying their fair share.

They are probably also wondering why no one has taken over this crate business and are actively working to buy up this obviously valuable land.

4 Likes

Am I the only one who sees a vulva?

5 Likes

Remember this guy?

He’s dead now.

1 Like

The worst version is the original, because it takes a really inspired, teachable illustration of the real meaning of fairness, and then immediately slaps partisan “conservative” and “liberal” labels on it, ensuring that the people who need the lesson most will dismiss it without giving it a chance. “Equality” vs. “equity” is kind of awkward, but at least it performs a function other than patting yourself and your allies on the back.

(If you’re typing up “lolol don’t you know all conservatives are stupid and evil and can never learn,” please don’t.)

5 Likes

24 Likes

It’s also useful for pointing out the flaws with “Equality of Opportunity”, when compared to “Equality of Outcomes”.

1 Like

… after complaining that according to that picture, the freeloaders at fence have a better view of the game than the hard working people in the seats that paid for their tickets.

3 Likes

I like it!

5 Likes