The Fall of Roe v Wade & the Insidious Fascist Plot to Make All Women into Mere Broodmares

Related:

11 Likes

More on the AL disaster in the making

But the fear and confusion don’t end there. Health advocates worry more states will follow Alabama’s lead. And, if small clumps of cells gain personhood rights in more states, liability could spread to contraceptive use and people who suffer a miscarriage.

And this is, of course, the holy grail of conservative politics, A Handmaid’s Tale in real life, the founding of Gilead. Women as things. Dare I say, broodmares.

17 Likes
13 Likes

(free link)

16 Likes

It was a given when this shit was enacted that women would be hurt, that women would die, and the assholes in power said “we are OK with that if it scores us political points.” Misogyny and racism are seared into the core of the fascist “conservative” party at this point to the where I do not think it can be extracted without burning the whole thing to the ground. And I am perfectly OK with that.

15 Likes

Somehow Nikki Haley has gone so far off the deep end on restricing reproductive rights that she’s making Trump and other Republican candidates look like the more reasonable ones by comparison.

8 Likes

Now that she’s had a chance to see which way the wind was blowing in her party she’s trying to walk back her comments. (Kinda sorta)

But even her walk-back is pretty limited and self-contradicting:

So she clearly still thinks that states should be able to shut down IVF clinics and prosecute medical personnel for murder of surplus frozen embryos if they want to.

11 Likes

Oof, a punch in the guts, but if that’s what it takes to get their attention…

9 Likes

14 Likes

Ending “recreational” sex? It would be difficult to find a way to be more a-historic about the history of human sexuality than to claim humans only recently endeavored to engage in “recreational” sex. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

16 Likes

While a motive has not been released, the incident came one day after Marshall said he won’t prosecute in vitro fertilization providers or families in the wake of a state Supreme Court ruling that embryos should be considered children.

This is, of course, pure speculation, BUT…
Stochastic terrorism is very much their thing, and the fact that the AG has chosen to not toe their absolutist line. So, it would make sense. However, since the world rarely actually does make sense, I will wait for more info before laughing very, very hard.

8 Likes

When Republicans insist that life begins at conception, and also that seven cell clusters constitute “life,” what they are saying—what they were always saying—is that we as a society need babies so badly that somebody should always be entitled to take control and custody over somebody else’s baby, and indeed of every potential baby. Because, at the end of the day, your babies don’t belong to you; they belong, variously, to God, to the GOP, to the state, and to those who want to raise them in your stead. That isn’t just about controlling women, then, or about fertility and the power to make economic and health decisions about one’s own life. This is about the government endlessly making determinations about who is fit to take your children away from you and raise them as their own.

9 Likes
5 Likes

Krueger’s decision referenced a Montana Supreme Court precedent from 1999 finding the state’s constitutional right to privacy protects access to pre-viability abortion. The state’s high court reaffirmed that precedentin a ruling last spring.

12 Likes

I thought the “without… credible evidence” statement was particularly important to include.

6 Likes
18 Likes

Whatever will the people who killed Roe v Wade do when there are fewer of the babies they want because they did so? They thought it would lead to more of the “right kind” of babies, and here it is driving the exact opposite result. Bless their hearts.

11 Likes
6 Likes
11 Likes

What I read of their position was that their theoretical “issue of harm” was that they might at some point have to care for a woman who had complications following a medication abortion. Which causes me to respond :man_facepalming:

13 Likes