The false patriotism of Donald Trump

I enjoy the American flag also. To ensure that all patriots are paying it the proper respect, I propose steep fines for the following:

• humping the flag
  • displaying a “modified” flag
  • flying the flag upside down frivolously
  • flag apparel
  • carrying the flag with intent to use as a weapon
  • inappropriately flying the flag on your vehicle
2 Likes

Maybe make that flying the flag upside down frivolously.

9 Likes

I think a felon with 34 felony convictions should get jail time.

6 Likes

Oh he realizes it. It’s a dog whistle as subtle as an air raid siren.

2 Likes

That made sense when naval vessels had huge ensigns hanging off the back of them during the age of sail. Today nobody uses this signal anymore, since it is ambiguous, hard to spot and sometimes impossible to do (try it with a Swiss or Japanese flag!).

Current flag-based distress signals are the signal flags N over C or the day shape of a ball over a square.

5 Likes

My main reason for not outright banning it is in case of a situation where the only people capable of sending a distress signal don’t know the correct way. An upside down flag is one of the better known ways, even if it is deprecated.

Or the union flag, which looks only slightly different when it is upside down. It doesn’t matter though, the original comment was about the US flag.

7 Likes

Marge was trying to round up some frat boys to take care of business.

5 Likes

Edited. :+1:

1 Like

Ships, then and now, have a whole locker of recognized flags for signalling distress. Flying your national flag upside down has always been a “sure, if that’s all you have, whatever, anything to attract attention :person_shrugging:” thing.

Besides, in the Wooden Ships and Iron Men era, the French and Spanish flags didn’t have an upside-down, and the Union Jack isn’t blatantly wrong when reversed.

1 Like

But it makes for a cool Hornblower-type ruse by signaling distress or capture that the ignorant foreigners won’t recognize. :smiley:

2 Likes

And other things. I am amused that in the International Code of Signals, the two letter signal SN (Sierra November) means:
“You should stop immediately. Do not scuttle. Do not lower boats. Do not use the wireless. If you disobey I shall open fire on you.”

5 Likes

September 18th can’t come soon enough. [Assuming, of course, that the Convict-in-Chief can’t find some sort of :poop: argument to postpone that sentencing.]

3 Likes

How does that make sense?

4 Likes

You could do this with a Union Jack, but only very few people would notice.

2 Likes

Naval history shows conclusively that you can kill a substantial part of the crew without sinking the ship. Like taking out the bridge first.

4 Likes

And if they scuttle, the first thing that goes overboard are the logs and code books/machines.

5 Likes

Whenever the non-issue of flag burning comes up this always comes to mind:

1 Like

Most of the U.S. flags I see flying in rural Indiana are left out 24/7 with no lights and are faded and literally raggedy. That’s 3 strikes right there.

Meanwhile, they’re burning yard waste and regular garbage (also against the law), but do they add these damaged flags to the pyre? No, they do not.

7 Likes

Sorry this is so hard to read. The parts to note are “Five crises in search of leadership.” culminating in “Leadership:” “And I want to be the anti-flag-burning president!”

I like the idea of Japan’s law – burning a flag other than Japan’s is illegal.

2 Likes

Or evidence of a crime, say if the Coast Guard had intercepted a ship suspected of carrying contraband.

3 Likes