The false patriotism of Donald Trump

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/26/the-false-patriotism-of-donald-trump.html

8 Likes

He is inappropriate with flags. Do there need to be legal penalties for this sort of thing too?

28 Likes

Trump getting nookie from flags and JD Vance getting busy with a couch. Is sexual attraction to inanimate objects a requirement for Republican leadership? Have we checked into Ron DeSantis and his inappropriate acts against pudding?

I’m just asking questions.

26 Likes

Does hanging the flag upside down when not in imminent danger of life or limb count as a desecration of the flag?

Should Congress make violations of the US Flag Code crimes and define appropriate punishments?

18 Likes

First a Flag Fucker in Chief, and now his heir apparent is a purported couch fucker? Holy inanimate object fetish Batman!

8 Likes

The current SCOTUS cares not one whit for precedence. If 45 becomes 47, and Republicans win majorities in both houses, be prepared to go to jail for burning the flag.

20 Likes

Do that in :canada: and we let you go after a good, solid, public mocking.

5 Likes

The flag code isn’t law, it’s more like a list of suggested guidelines. Which is a lucky thing for the MAGA freaks because it explicitly proscribes (among other things) using the flag as apparel, which these faux patriots are wont to do.

31 Likes

Exactly - the MAGA freaks are the biggest culprits of bastardizing the flag with eagles, guns, Jesus, trump and whatever else virtual-signals allegiance to their tribe.
I despise these hypocrits…

16 Likes

Pirates Of The Caribbean Code GIF by Brian Benns

14 Likes

Not to mention the flag of treasonous regional separatists. And the flag that combines the national flag with the flag of treasonous regional separatists.

14 Likes

The current SCOTUS would probably agree with my uncle, when he said way back in the 1970’s, that outlawing flag burning is not unconstitutional, as it is not “speech”. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

But apparently Trump does NOT believe you should be punished for storming the United States Congress, breaking windows, causing structural damage, defecating on desks, threatening to kill Senators, hang VP Pence, and injuring 174 Capitol Police & DC Police officers.**

** 1 died from a stroke at the division station after being injured fighting protestors. 2 others committed suicide days after the riots (1 w/ sustained head trauma who told his wife “he just didn’t feel right” while suffering from constant pain afterwards).

14 Likes

Where are all the Righties gone who have long been so vocal about flag desecration?

I hope that poor, abused flag was given a proper retirement and disposal.

3 Likes

See, it’s okay to fly it upside down or turn it into a picnic blanket or print it on a speedo or replace the stripes with assault rifles. ONLY burning it is bad. Unless people on the left start doing any of that aforementioned stuff, in which case it’s all inexcusable desecration (when they do it).

13 Likes

But you can rip it down from over the Capital building so long as you replace it with a Trump flag, right? What about leaving it mounted to the pole you’re using to beat police (which you’re totally a support of, really)?

13 Likes

ETA context:

3 Likes
8 Likes

… he doesn’t care about the Constitution

He cares about punishing out-groups

10 Likes

That’s the loathsome image that came mind as I read this article. Yuck. As a humane gesture someone needs to burn that flag to put it out off its misery. Using flags for props is flag abuse, and no one is guiltier than the Gilded Turd and his attendant Baloney Brigade. Slapping an image, any image, on a flag is desecration plain and simple. Personally, I am opposed to laws prohibiting free expression that incorporates symbolic elements (such as flags), but what galls me to no end is the overwhelming hypocrisy of the Magamaniacal mindless set, desecrators all, but pretending like they believe the flag is sacred. Argh.

8 Likes