The false patriotism of Donald Trump

How about burning confederate flags?

14 Likes

Flag fetishism is a classic Trump grift that he’s used before to cosplay as patriotic, in order to get financial concessions. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/trumps-war-with-palm-beach-213122/

7 Likes

sounds like a fun party!
i’ll bring marshmallows.

7 Likes

As fun as it is to mock them, the thing you’re not supposed to do is use an actual flag as apparel. Pictures and prints of a flag are something else, but a flag flown over a site, or actually a flag? A little more respect, please, don’t desecrate them. And that’s all the flag code intends to say.

Which makes the false patriotism and flag humping all the more repulsive, because he’s doing it with with consecrated* flags.

*for lack of a better word

4 Likes

Which MAGA freaks do all the time.

Heck, Kid Rock once cut a hole in the middle of a flag so he could wear it like a poncho for a Super Bowl halftime show.

14 Likes

Yep, that is textbook desecration right there. Living overseas, I miss just how batshit crazy they have gotten, I admit.

7 Likes

The Clarion Project used to have this picture on a page, entitled “Antifa burning an American flag.”

ClarionProject

11 Likes

Patriotism, to most Republicans, is performative rather than substantive. And that’s been true longer than Trump has been in the picture. In my opinion, the most patriotic thing you can do is vote. And the second most patriotic thing you can do is to speak out against your government when you think they’re doing something wrong. And flag burning is speech. So…burning the American flag in protest is more patriotic than saluting it during the National Anthem.

12 Likes

Does anyone realize an approved method of discarding an American flag that is worn out is – you guessed it! – burning it?

11 Likes

Whether he realizes it or not, his flag-burning tirade gives the green light to MAGA thugs itching to beat up flag-burners.

3 Likes

I’d love to see a Walter Masterson / The Good Liars collab where they go to a Trump rally dressed as some sort of Flag Desecration Cops and try to “arrest” just about every single one of those dumb MFers with their stupid, obviously-desecrated flag merch.

Because what Trump really means is that he doesn’t like non-white, non-MAGA people “desecrating” the flag.

5 Likes

In the 1989 case Texas v. Johnson, the Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision that the act of burning an American flag is constitutionally protected free speech under the First Amendment.

justice_thomas_unless

3 Likes

If I recall correctly, the “guidelines” around flag handling include NOT leaving a flag up after dark, folding it properly when you bring it down, NOT leaving it up in the rain, etc. The MAGAs among us are THE WORST at violating these proscriptions! Are commies and pinkos actually still burning flags???!!!

1 Like

those are the ‘proud boy antifas’, right?

Oh, those were probably Antifa. The “American flag”, not so much.

3 Likes

I seem to recall flag apparel was not uncommon in the 70’s (for example Apollo Creed in Rocky). Especially around the bicentennial. In retrospect it just feels like there was a different vibe back then. Maybe it was more celebratory and now it’s tribal and aggressive.

What bugs me are the diaper cultists flying the flag from their coal-rolling penis signifiers until it’s shredded. A big no-no per the flag code.

11 Likes

Bill Hader Snl GIF

7 Likes

Well it IS a law. Passed by congress, signed by the President, incorporated into the US CODE at 4 USC §1-10 But there is no penalty for violating it.
https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title4/chapter1&edition=prelim

4 Likes

Kind of like how kneeling is a sign of respect, except when black people do it.

6 Likes

These discussions always recall to my mind the wise words of Mr Ice-T

A-yo Ice, man. I’m working on this term paper for college.
What’s the First Amendment?
Freedom of Speech, that’s some motherfuckin’ bullshit
You say the wrong thing, they’ll lock your ass up quick

2 Likes