The FBI invented a fictitious "abortion extremist" movement, then warned local cops about potential acts of domestic terror from it

It took me years to realize that this song was a warning about right-wing cryptofascism in the police complex. To my shame. I mean, I got the subtext of the lines but didn’t have the context to put it together.

4 Likes

This is literally how the Jetsetting Terrorist got sent to prison on terrorism charges. I believe the specifics of his crime were that he set a nursery of fur-pelt animals free.

Sadly, said blog seems to be set private currently. (I hear he’s working on a book; possibly related to that?)

3 Likes

It’s an easy way to chalk up g Ws while making sure the budget gets spent.

Yeah as soon as I saw the headline I thought “deranged centrism strikes again”

The “everyone does equally bad things all the time so let’s all pretend there’s no such thing as a morally correct position” crowd sickens me. They’ll excuse the right of anything.

6 Likes

so you’re saying they would have presidential qualities

If successful, they will establish some scary precedents for “Conspiracy Against the United States”. They claim that they don’t have to prove you did anything illegal or even that you had intent. It should work the same against non-Russians.

4 Likes

“i’m sure there are nice people on both sides.” “fair and balanced coverage.”

malarkey is a fun word to describe this sort of bs. trying to balance a one sided equation, not everything need that sort of two-sided treatment and it often causes more harm then it prevents.

2 Likes

There’s this guy on Tucker, about a minute in…

2 Likes

Ah crap, after 15 years of organizing with the Green Party of Cali, I guess I’ll have to do a FOIA request. Just for shits and giggles of course…

4 Likes

In related news…

15 Likes

Curious how marking standards differ across time and space: 85% at my university was unheard of (at least, I never heard of one). 75% was the lower bound for a first-class mark, in the sense of the common UK classification of undergrad degree results into first, upper second, lower second and third class. I once got 80% on a term paper, which elicited a certain measure of awe from my classmates.

7 Likes

As a former teacher who was under massive grade inflation pressure, I appreciate this. Having only 1/4 or 1/5 of the grade range to differentiate student performance was crippling.

As a former teacher who was under massive grade inflation pressure, this horrifies me vis-a-vis the repercussions on the ground. I once had a student break down into tears at my desk trying to argue points back after the student got an 85 or something.

5 Likes

As pointed out in the comments at Talking Points Memo, there’s a YouTube video showing him & Alex Jones training with firearms for the coming civil war between ‘real Americans’ & liberals.

3 Likes

Yeah, good point. Let me clarify by saying that 85% would refer to “fairly good, but certainly not perfect”. Implying that the report should have been fact-checked and revised at least two or three more times before it got a truly good grade. Honestly, though, given the inherent contradiction between the included data and the stated conclusions, this report would have received a failing grade in a statistics class… And likewise in a course for creating legal reports.

1 Like

Which also goes back to the obscene expense of even public universities, and the pressure on students to get very high grades for admission and scholarship money to avoid or reduce crippling student loan debt.

What opponents to free or low-cost higher education fail to understand is the ripple effect upstream into high school and younger students. If their whole future didn’t hinge on getting perfect grades, maybe, just maybe, they could actually be students instead of point-hungry grade grabbers.

6 Likes

It’s amazing how naturally they learn max-minning the system. Our school’s college counselors set a strict limit of 10 college applications at most that they’d advise on and submit transcripts for, because some students had been submitting 30+ applications.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.