The final trailer for Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie ain't nothing to laugh about

I’m just glad Universal eventually gave up on their plan to do the same thing with their classic Monster Movie properties. 2004’s Van Helsing was bad enough.

6 Likes

I enjoy the old Universal Monster Movies, like House of Dracula; but they have a very specific tone that would be hard to pull off today.

3 Likes

They were both wonderful. Eartha Kitt’s Catwoman came just after Nichol’s as Uhura, but still pretty groundbreaking. I think the distinction back then was that they could have a non-white as a villain, or maybe even a side-kick (Bruce Lee as Kato!), but certainly not the lead.

2 Likes

You used Byzantine in a sentence. The message was not received by your target audience.

1 Like

They were both born in 1941. It would have been super weird if she didn’t have some connection to star-spangled war-fighting. It would be as weird as having a 1970s-set version of her that didn’t have some thematic nod to the feminism of the time, like Gloria Steinem as her CIA handler the way that Robert Redford showed up for Captain America.

2 Likes

Uh, this isn’t Reddit. We know what Byzantine means.

(frantically googles “Byzantine”)

10 Likes

I’m sure it will be the edgy shit that will get fans going nuts and provide for a parade of cosplay later on.

Myself, I can’t even.

I’m not all that trilled with solo movies of villains or any of the bat shit without Batman and I’ll defiantly take a pass on this one. Still, call me when they decide to do a proper Condiment King film.

Good re-use of an old Bob Monkhouse gag there.

3 Likes

I’ll consult the release schedule.

6 Likes

That’s from Thoreau, in 1854

6 Likes

I want to see what he does with this but if i find out it’s just incel wish fulfillment then i’m out.

2 Likes

Speaking of which:

3 Likes

My favorite Bob Monkhouse moment is when Pamela Stevenson decided to troll him.

4 Likes

…indistinguishable from an insane person to people who think what’s normal is sane, right? People who are well adjusted to injustice, don’tcha know.

3 Likes

It’s amazing how the movie isn’t out yet and I’m already sick of the fanbase.

2 Likes

Download%20(29)

5 Likes

Stellar casts also may include Christopher Walken, Danny DeVito, Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer. Add a director of some brilliant movies like Tim Burton, and you definitely have a box office hit while still including deep and satisfying cinematography.

1 Like

How I imagine the scene going in the film is that the Joker starts his speil and DeNiro heckles him until sunddenly there’s a chuckle, then a laugh, then DeNiro can’t stop, and then it pans out to the audience having the same reaction. “Funny joke, everyone laughs,”

side note: why can’t I see the little blinking thing that tells me where I’m typing on here? Is that normal? Am I sane? Ha! Ha! HA! hahahahahahahahahahhahahah plop

1 Like

Yes, “King of Comedy,” meets “Taxi Driver” with a dash of “Apocalypse Now” and if we’re lucky, a smidgen of “Mishima” and a hint of “Videodrome.”

imho the 90s were more progressive than today. look at jurassic park:

original: a mixed race, gender, and age group overcome an obstactle

new jurassic park: hi im a dumb redhead with big tits, chris pratt save me!

:angry: