The final trailer for Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie ain't nothing to laugh about

Joaquin Phoenix is 44. The actor playing young Bruce is about 9. Figure Bruce becoming Batman a bit younger than in the comics, and you have a 20-year-old Batman fighting a 55-year-old Joker. Which, with Hollywood math with regard to male actors, could be an 18-23-year-old Batman fighting a 48-53-year-old Joker. Not too far off from other incarnations of the characters. Nicholson was 52 when he played the role. Not that I absolutely need everything to fit together, but it would be fine IMO. No elder abuse necessary.

4 Likes

Maybe he does, but I’m not sure Cesar Romero gets enough credit for making the Joker such an entertaining and enduring character.

7 Likes

A 20-year-old Batman wouldn’t make sense since he was supposed to have spent years training his mind and body to become a world-class martial artist and detective. Most versions of Batman have him donning the cowl around age 30, which would pit him against a 65-year-old Joker.

Also most versions of Joker’s origin story have Joker donning his identity after Batman.

Maybe Bruce jumped the gun with some meditation YouTube videos as a tween? And origin stories change all the time in this genre. IDK, I’m just saying it’s not beyond the realm of possibility for a comic book movie. Cesar Romero was nearly 60 in 1966, so who knows?

1 Like

And Eartha Kitt was probably my favorite Catwoman. The sad thing is that if they made a Batman adaptation today that cast a Latin American actor as Joker and an African American actor as Catwoman the internet would be ablaze with angry broflakes screaming how Hollywood was overrun with PC Social Justice Warriors.

villains

12 Likes

It is the mustache that really makes Cesar Romero’s Joker. This guy puts white pancake make-up OVER his mustache!? Now THAT’S chaos!

@Brainspore
Joker, “… and then we release the gas in to the Orphange!”

Catwoman, “Dozens of innocents would die… Purrrrrrfect.”

Cat [thinks], “Hugsies!”

Personally I hope that WB stop trying to play catch up with the Marveal Universe and, instead, lean in to the DC Multiverse and Else Worlds. They could concentrate on making interesting stand alone movies featuring a recognisable cast of characters in differing environments. It works for their Animated products, where series often reuse characters with a totally different tone and different relationships. They could still do cross-over events if they felt the need.

7 Likes

Don’t forget that the leaders of the rogue military branches were chemically enhanced with super strength, and decided to first use their secret weapons technologies on their own leadership that didn’t share their vision.

3 Likes

I’m just glad Universal eventually gave up on their plan to do the same thing with their classic Monster Movie properties. 2004’s Van Helsing was bad enough.

6 Likes

I enjoy the old Universal Monster Movies, like House of Dracula; but they have a very specific tone that would be hard to pull off today.

3 Likes

They were both wonderful. Eartha Kitt’s Catwoman came just after Nichol’s as Uhura, but still pretty groundbreaking. I think the distinction back then was that they could have a non-white as a villain, or maybe even a side-kick (Bruce Lee as Kato!), but certainly not the lead.

2 Likes

You used Byzantine in a sentence. The message was not received by your target audience.

1 Like

They were both born in 1941. It would have been super weird if she didn’t have some connection to star-spangled war-fighting. It would be as weird as having a 1970s-set version of her that didn’t have some thematic nod to the feminism of the time, like Gloria Steinem as her CIA handler the way that Robert Redford showed up for Captain America.

2 Likes

Uh, this isn’t Reddit. We know what Byzantine means.

(frantically googles “Byzantine”)

10 Likes

I’m sure it will be the edgy shit that will get fans going nuts and provide for a parade of cosplay later on.

Myself, I can’t even.

I’m not all that trilled with solo movies of villains or any of the bat shit without Batman and I’ll defiantly take a pass on this one. Still, call me when they decide to do a proper Condiment King film.

Good re-use of an old Bob Monkhouse gag there.

3 Likes

I’ll consult the release schedule.

6 Likes

That’s from Thoreau, in 1854

6 Likes

I want to see what he does with this but if i find out it’s just incel wish fulfillment then i’m out.

2 Likes

Speaking of which:

3 Likes

My favorite Bob Monkhouse moment is when Pamela Stevenson decided to trolley him.

4 Likes