The first paragraph of the screenplay for Miami Vice (2006)

[Permalink]

Until the catamaran shows up, it’s like a William Gibson novel.

1 Like

It’s considerably more vinyl-gold clad than Gibson.

1 Like

Huh, and the funny thing is the chaotic mess of sea, froth, and air blasted up by some cigarette boat roaring by is a legitimate candidate for some use of the word “liminal” too, even if its pretentious welcome has been worn thin by Gibson’s countless imitators.

I understand that 98% of the world doesn’t agree with me on this, but I really do think it is a brilliant movie. The ‘dialogue’ isn’t much of course, but the visual storytelling is really something special.

2 Likes

My problem with this movie is that after having seen it and with the opportunity to sit slowly and read at my own pace I still have no goddamned clue what’s going on.

1 Like

that’s why I love Mann, but I haven’t seen this movie (loved the show when I was in jr high, though.) He tells the story visually, which is what you’re supposed to do.

The final scene of Heat, the cat-and-mouse at the airport yard with all those little brightly-colored sheds is probably ten minutes with no dialogue. But the story is intense. Compare with Antonioni’s darkroom scene in Blow-Up or when Brolin’s character is making the thing to fish out the suitcase in the vent in the Coen’s No Country for Old Men. No dialogue, in fact they’re damn near silent. That’s visual storytelling, something most films could use a lot more of.

3 Likes

Actually, a great many of the younger generation of film critics really admire Miami Vice. Harmony Korine cited it as the primary aesthetic influence on last year’s Spring Breakers. I was very surprised to discover that Catherine Deneuve was a fan, and quite hip to the film’s unusual qualities: “I watched Miami Vice again. I hadn’t really liked it the first time round. But even so, it’s a whole other way of filming, it’s fascinating. There is a force, an incredible energy to it. His films are very long, but there are no gratuitous shots. When he decides to film the nape of an actor’s neck, there is a real tension. It’s there, it’s not at all . . . an effect. It’s surprising. He makes you feel the weight of things.” In MV, Mann pushed digital technology to give the cinematic image a kind of electric hyper-vividness and presence which it never had before. I think he’s a genuinely great filmmaker.

3 Likes

And that’s supposed to be a defense of Miami Vice? :-/

My dad told me some successful companies make fishing lures that attract and catch fish, while other companies can be successful making lures that attract and catch fishers in stores. That paragraph looks like it might not be helpful instructions for actors or crew to understand what they should be doing or capturing while creating the movie, but it might be helpful for catching studio execs when Mann is trying to sell the script.

1 Like

Nope, just an indication that the poster wasn’t alone in admiring Miami Vice. Besides which, Spring Breakers made various Best of 2013 lists, including those of Cashier du Cinema and the filmmakers John Waters and Edgar Wright, so I’m not sure it gets automatically struck from the record on the basis on your apparent personal dislike of it.

1 Like
The 'dialogue' isn't much of course, but the visual storytelling is really something special.

I and the immortal line “I’m a fiend for mojitos” beg to differ. Deathless prose, that.

1 Like

Or the hole-digging scene in Becker’s lovely Le Trou. Squee!

1 Like

re: “I’m a fiend for Mojitos”

I always figured that Mann and co understood how ridiculous and contrived that sounded, and put it in there to make very clear that Sonny is lost in a sea of empty posturing. I understand that that is quite possibly hopeful thinking though.

1 Like

I think he was forced to put the Mojito references in there due to Bicardi sponsorship.

1 Like

I hate the ending of Heat.

Wrong way around, definitely. Same thing with Collateral.

Love the rest of the film.

Miami Vice, I tried to watch on a flight, didn’t get on with it. Perhaps I should give it another go.

I found it interesting to look at the intro again - if you would like to, click the link:

2 Likes

and just for the hell of it, one of my favorite scenes from the movie, especially on a really really high def screen. (this version sadly is only 360p)

I don’t know about brilliant. But I certainly enjoyed watching it.

had to IMDB that. I gotta check this one out :beers: