The first trailer for Good Omens makes the apocalypse look delightful

I re-read the book again recently, and I was struck how global warming and pollution were spoken of as fact throughout the book, and how this wasn’t that unusual in the things I read as a kid.
And yet we’re still not fucking doing anything about it thirty years later.

3 Likes

Isaiah says that each seraph has three pairs of wings: one to cover their face (presumably so they don’t look at God), one to cover their feet (a euphemism for genitals?), and one to hold them aloft.

1 Like

So, kind of like a Dance of the Seven Veils?

Also: Wait, is the subtext that Jesus used to go around publicly washing people’s genitals?

2 Likes

Hm. Aziraphale explaining to the TV preacher that the end is not going to be all tidy and executive class Rapture stuff. Yes, the reaction to that in some quarters will be … nice.

/popcorn

6 Likes

Absolutely - there are some bits of this adaption I am really looking forward to :smiley:

2 Likes

I hope they include the transmutation of the M25 into the sigil odegra.

Hail the Great Beast, Devourer of Worlds.

1 Like

One would certainly hope so. If anything its baleful influence has become even more powerful…

1 Like
2 Likes

I expect that they’d have to. There are too many connected good bits.

“Excuse me, did you know that your car…”

2 Likes

Not just Jesus

I think I’ll just give Jesus a towel and tell him where the shower is, thank you.

3 Likes

Still better than Zeus…

2 Likes

Ah. I did forget about Seraphim.
I do like their job though as it’s to continually fly around the Throne of God yelling “holy, holy, holy…”

But they don’t really appear much in Renaissance art and pop culture I don’t think (like the bastardized cherub - and the generic angel) so maybe that’s where my mind was.
But I’m glad you mentioned them. Good catch.

And I may be wrong about Cherubs and feathers. They have 4 heads; a humanoid, a lion, an ox, and an eagle (the souls of their feet are also weird). So, since one of their heads is that of an eagle, it’s possible to assume their wings could be feathered too (they also have 4 wings) But the wings could also likely be covered in lion or ox fur or, as I said before, cherub’s humanoid skin. If their wing covering is described I don’t know of it (and didn’t cursory-illy find it)

I just like the idea of religious art featuring Cherubs as adorable little plump babies with bat-like wings.

1 Like

Between them and the Metatron, the Voice of God (press secretary) rather than God’s actual voice, no one can hear God. Maybe someone should request a Health and Welfare check on God, see if he’s alright?

1 Like

A great, great shame that Alan Rickman has passed away, or it would have been an amazing cameo for him to play Metatron, and imply a link between two separate stories.

5 Likes

That’s turning up in my YouTube churn right now!

Nutters. All of them.

1 Like

Who’s going to play Shadwell, and how many nipples has he got?

2 Likes

Weird thing. I love Practchets books. I really enjoy Gaiman’s books. I couldn’t get into Good Omens at all. It just left me cold. Felt like reading a shaggy dog story that didn’t have anything interesting to say. Maybe the series will be better.

So, er, “Preacher” is on Amazon… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That’s much how I felt about American Gods, personally. At least Good Omens has some cohesion.