The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

You’re just holding it wrong, surely :grinning:

13 Likes

No town should ever give a friendly welcome to Nazis.

15 Likes

Based on the only other other reasons I’ve ever heard of Whitefish, MT this is a pleasant surprise!

12 Likes

Maybe it’s just because he’s a super shitty tipper?

9 Likes

He won the super shitty decathlon!

10 Likes
6 Likes

:wink:

8 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

OK, hang on…

I am on record as being against the Obama Center in Jackson Park. The most succinct way to put it is: a community organizer from the south side of Chicago wouldn’t put it there. (Remember, he’s not actually from Chicago, and didn’t live here for very long.) If he has to break the most holy covenant in the city’s history – public park land is sacrosanct to us – then at least put it in Washington Park, which would create a museum campus with the DuSable Museum of African American History, and be perfectly situated near two existing elevated lines, numerous bus lines, and a major highway, with plenty of room to build a supporting retail environment creating jobs in an area that currently has very few jobs.

The spot he picked, among other things, took away the local public high school’s only playing fields (and they didn’t have a gym), which would be used after school and on weekends by the community for all sorts of child and adult sports activities. Plus, lots of mature trees are being cut down.

That said: these are not 1,000-year-old-growth trees. In fact, something like 10 years ago we had two extreme winter storm events close together that took out hundreds of trees in Jackson and Washington Parks, including the oldest tree in Chicago (Jackson Park). At this point the only trees left in Jackson Park are relatively young. Yes, they are still beautiful mature trees and it’s terrible that they’re being sacrificed to ego like this, but they’re not as old as being claimed.

20 Likes

Thanks for the on-the-ground correction, though the tweet doesn’t say 1000-year-old-growth trees – you changed the tweet’s meaning there. It says “1000 old-growth trees.”

Nevertheless, your correction is still clarifying, because it comes down to what “old growth” means, and even then, by my understanding of the most common meaning of that term (a group of trees that have never been logged/harvested), while these are somewhat old trees, they are not “old-growth trees.”

Main point, on which we seem to agree: Obama’s being an asshole here.

15 Likes

Yeah, wtf? So disappointing :frowning:
Anytime someone decides to cut down mature trees rather than reclaim a brownfield site…why?

11 Likes

Sen. Joe Manchin says there’s no way to pass $3.5 trillion budget bill by September 27

Get to work- you lazy bastard.

18 Likes

FTA:

“If you opened a gas station in 1929, in 2021 you don’t expect to see the same pump, because we know more,” said Orange Councilwoman Arianna Barrios. “The cars are different. And Mary’s Kitchen has just not evolved.”

“It’s not that we want to change what they deliver, but it’s how they deliver,” the first-term council member said.

NIMBY assholes at it again. Sounds like Orange County could do with better quality humanitarians on the Orange City Council.

As a thread for those who prefer that format…

12 Likes
16 Likes

17 Likes

Christ, what an asshole. We aren’t “rushing to get everything done in one week.”
Fuck, this has been in the works for years! Remember T running on the whole infrastructure thing? I do. I’ve been working in govt this whole time. It was the one thing I thought I might be able to point at from his administration and say, “well, at least that happened.”
But, no.

14 Likes

Obstructionist for the sake of being obstructionist. It plays well at home and keeps his name in the news. Manchin doesn’t really give two shits what the bill actually contains.

14 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes