The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

Ticks would be a better analogy, methinks.

15 Likes

Honestly, I put the vast majority of blame on business as a whole doing the barest minimum possible for their employees, and our elected officials for being so grateful for the lobbying perks that they help as much as possible by keeping the minimum wage low and worker protections as close to non-existent as they can get away with.

There are a lot of greedy landlords, but at least in Chicago often enough it’s a family that lives on one level and rents out one or more levels of their 2-flat, 3-flat, or 6-flat, so they’re not all stereotypical jerks.

14 Likes

My daughter is currently looking to rent a house. Completely priced out in Harrisonburg, found a few places in Staunton, but they charge a non-refundable $80 fee for each application. She put in bids (and yes, they are bids) on 3 places so far. 1 was rented before they got her application, got turned down on the other 2 (outbid on 1) and, did I mention non-refundable? $240 gone with nothing to show so far. She and her fiance are both professionals with good paying, real jobs but nothing. And buying a house right now is out of the question. I am just amazed.

15 Likes

Sometimes you can do better walking around a neighborhood and looking to find for rent signs in windows from people who own triplexes etc. better prices too.

If you have the time.

11 Likes

Bidding on rentals? Unbelievable.

I think the last time we looked for a place in Long Beach, CA (maybe nine years ago?) we also had to pay a $75 fee. They claimed that it was supposed to pay for the three credit report fees.

The landlord ended up renting it to someone he knew, so he tore up our check for the application fee. That was actually pretty nice of him. However, I really think running credit reports ought to be part of the cost of doing business. It wasn’t a good match for us, so I’m glad that he found someone else and he tore up our check.

(It was a one-bedroom bungalow behind a newer main house. It also came with a detached room that was located between the main house we’d be renting and the other home in front. It was probably a garage at one time. The rent was based upon two-bedroom rental market, but we found out that we couldn’t sleep in the room because it wasn’t to code. You could watch TV or use it as an office, but no sleeping in it, night or day.)

I’m sorry that they’re out $240. I think this has become such a scam, as are a lot of rental practices. :slightly_frowning_face:

10 Likes

Absolutely.

I haven’t had to look for housing to rent in the last decade, but even back then, it was ri-goddamn-diculous.

9 Likes

Sounds like NYC in the 1980’s.

How they’re getting away with such grift is astonishing. Any chance you know a lawyer or judge to ask about the legality involved? If you could go back to each of those places citing chapter and verse from the law, at least your daughter wouldn’t be out the $240.

8 Likes

JHC. No offense Doc but it’s Staunton, f’ng Virginia. Not exactly like Richmond or areas in NoVa. Damn. That’s just crazy.

Hey, there is that formally eugenics happy abandoned hospital down the road that has availability…

5 Likes

For a so-called comedian, Cosby sure is bad at reading the room.

6 Likes

Believe it or not, we talked about that. She said she wouldn’t be able to sleep there knowing the history. Still looking…

7 Likes

He’s quite popular with the botnets.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Go here for advice: http://brls.org/
Blue Ridge Legal Services is the nonprofit legal aid society providing free civil legal assistance to low-income residents of the Shenandoah Valley and Roanoke Valley of Virginia

5 Likes

FU Rand Paul.

17 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/church-youth-pastor-arrested-3rd-time-video-voyeurism-78944580?cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_headlines_hed

It was the third arrest on similar charges in less than two months for the youth director at Calvary Baptist Church in Pensacola. The videos showed people using the restroom at the church, officials said.

Almost like maybe he shouldn’t be a youth pastor, eh?

15 Likes

nah.
that’s Matt Gaetz’s district. 's’all gud. /s

11 Likes
13 Likes

Why is Ted Cruz?

7 Likes

The sex club for men continues its guise as a religion…

7 Likes

Who needs those fancy schmancy diplomats anyway? It’s not like Pennsylvania shares a 2,000 mile border
with another country.

Still- keeping my eye on Delaware.

8 Likes