The Gallery of Trump-Inspired Assholes (Part 1)

As well it should. But targeting your anger at an entire religion made up of over a billion people doesn’t do anything to understand why that’s happened, I’d argue.

Agreed. I never said I wasn’t angry, but there are entire parts of the country where women already can’t effectively access reproductive care, including abortion and Roe at this point is still the law of the land. :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

You apply the JFK test.

“[C]ontrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Catholic candidate for president,” Kennedy said on live TV in his now famous address. “I am the Democratic Party’s candidate for president, who happens also to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my church on public matters, and the church does not speak for me.”

It’s the same dual loyalty trope used against Jewish people. Yes if anyone says they’re going to apply their religion to court decisions it’s disqualifying- no it doesn’t mean being a member of any faith or none is disqualifying.

Though clearly the right is seeking justices who will make the law non secular in a secular country.

“ In the late 1950s, Catholic politicians were viewed with open suspicion by many mainline Protestants and Evangelicals. Shaun Casey, director of the Berkley Center for Religion, Peace and World Affairs at Georgetown University, and author of The Making of a Catholic President , says that Catholic candidates were accused of having “dual loyalties” to both the Vatican and the United States.”

16 Likes

Yikes !

Corrected!

1 Like

Ted Cruz gets smacked.

12 Likes

“We shall Coup whomever we wish.”
/Pedantry.

All this!

I do realize that the Catholic church, as an organization, has deep problems that very much need to be rooted out (and we should also realize that more often than not, the problems of the church have much more of an impact on the laity than they do non-Catholics). I wish this current Pope was more proactive on that front. But Catholicism isn’t a cult in the traditional sense and Catholics fall all over the political spectrum and have full political independence - again, my own family who are practicing catholics hold a variety of political views. On top of that, there is a history of general fear leveled at Catholics in US history, which while largely in the past, can still rear it’s ugly head. As someone with Catholic relatives in the south, I’ve very much seen this to be true.

So, the problem is Barrett, not catholicism writ large.

10 Likes

it also matters who the catholics are. in one school district i taught at the vast majority of catholics in the area were hispanic. i heard expressed more then once the notion that “those people” weren’t any kind of christians at all. in another district i worked at the catholics in the community were split pretty evenly between hispanics and people of north-central european descent. i never heard anything like that opinion expressed out loud.

10 Likes
7 Likes

Indeed. Although lately, Catholic churches where I live are getting more Latinx members than there were 20 years ago. My aunt says that her church (in North GA) has several spanish languages services now, and that they diocese sent in a second priest who spoke Spanish.

6 Likes

Yeah, sure - then they all come running when there’s an exorcism to be done or they need holy water for a vampire infestation.

8 Likes

I think Sotomayor is Catholic, and maybe Kagan? I seem to recall that all the pre-Trump justices are either Catholic or Jewish, but that could be apocryphal.

7 Likes

Timing is interesting…

12 Likes

Sounds like some opportunistic folks who made money riding the tiger are getting worried.

Good.

12 Likes

Sotomayor is Catholic (as I mentioned above in my edit), but Kagan is Jewish. According to Wikipedia, there are two justices who practice Judaism, six justices who practice Catholicism, and one who was raised Catholic but is now of the Episcopal faith (Gorsuch).

7 Likes

It’s just not so easy for me. Think of it in terms of the QAnon thing. People think they “believe”, but we don’t really come to grips that they BELIEVE it. Then, when I guy charges into a pizza shop with a gun, we gasp. Why?

I mean if you truly believed that a shop had a basement full of kids in cages or something, and the police were in on it, what might you do? How could you sleep knowing that?

For me it is the same with religious types in judicial positions. How do you believe that GOD is telling you that something is evil, believe it is evil yourself, and somehow remain neutral? How do you go to church and hear sermons about how you are gonna burn in hell for eternity, believing that is so, and say “Yeah, but I have to uphold the constitution, oh well.”

If I have to bet on someone upholding the constitution or protecting their eternal soul, I don’t give the constitution good odds. The same goes for pizza parlors or children.

2 Likes

Well - then you better get working on impeaching every justice that has a religion. They are have religious views.

3 Likes

The way things are going, it may actually come to that eventually.

I had some nondenominational HS students try to tell me that Catholics aren’t Christian. I’m thinking some evangelical churches push this narrative. (We ended up having a discussion about the definition of Christianity.)

7 Likes

Yep, look at William Barr.

2 Likes

Hey - Donald Trump doesn’t believe there’s a god other than his ego. He hasn’t seen the inside of a church longer than even I have.

16 Likes