The Gallery of Trump-Inspired Assholes (Part 1)

Even anyone who is not religious has views of right and wrong, deity notwithstanding. There is no such thing as a totally disinterested judge so long as humans are involved. Best I can hope for is someone who is open and honest about those beliefs.

15 Likes

Yes. They could be a non believer who holds horrible beliefs about human rights.

14 Likes

But even in that loathsome situation, the “god” of the situation is the well-being of the nation, from their loathsome perspective. They can go for lesser wins, or give in completely in the interest of self-preservation without damning their eternal souls.

I think had we asked the folks that framed the constitution if government servants should seek to create a nation that fulfilled “god’s will”, they would have agreed wholeheartedly. They had no clue the kind of religious beliefs we’d be dealing with 250 years later, or how much those beliefs would come into conflict with scientific reality. I suspect they believed we’d have cast off most of our archaic beliefs by now.

It’s all a matter of degrees anyway. We wouldn’t allow human sacrifice to appeal to the sun god, so we already regulate religion. We don’t need 6000-year-old-Earth, evolution-deniers in the Department of Education, and we don’t need “abortion is murdering babies” people on the Supreme Court. Yes, that does mean disqualifying them based on their religious beliefs, and I have no problem with that.

1 Like

Which is oh so ironic because there’s a good argument to be made that American Baptists have not a lot to do with Christianity while Catholicism had been around for a millennium or two (depending on your definition). American Baptists don’t even have a lot of similarities with Lutherans, the ones that originally rebelled against Catholics.

5 Likes

He ain’t a human being.

8 Likes

I have been told that the dissenter in the SC in the case which made eugenic sterilisations legal in the US (Buck v Bell) voted against it as they were Catholic. This is the line of precedent the Nazis based their legislation on and it was voted for by “liberals” Now whether any Christian religion really tells us much about how we should behave regarding women’s health, gay, or trans rights, is a very open question with no real answers.

If a Christian of whatever flavour is a homophobe it is because they are a homophobe, not because of what God told them. If they are a forced birther it is not because the Bible tells them to be (the only real possible reference to abortion being the ordeal of bitter waters, the Bible is for it but only as a tool for men to control women and their bodies, nor for women to have that control) but because they chose to be.

That so many SC justices are Catholic, the religion most closely associated with forced birtherism, is surely no accident given the focus of the far right in getting Roe v Wade overturned.

4 Likes

I would suggest that not everyone believes everything they hear and in fact many people can hear something and not automatically believe it to be true. As a matter of fact, several of the Catholic justices manage to uphold Roe despite being catholic. It says nothing about Barrett, of course, just about the justices already on the bench.

mao-stalin

I think that’s the case? Plus, lots of progressives in the 19th century were concerned about the rise of science, because they believed it might loosen the bonds mutual obligations for others. Capitalism did that, though, not science. They weren’t wrong about science being used to destructive ends, such as with eugenics.

11 Likes
19 Likes

i read that earlier this morning.

nice . . . real nice.

11 Likes

sick fucks, the lot of 'em.
this one really clenched my jaw - from the Slate article:

• Conservative writer Rod Dreher maintains that “Rittenhouse did no wrong”—he was ridding Kenosha of “the enemy of civilization,”

What the what now? “enemy of civilization”?! Let that shit sink in…
I believe that there is some confusion there as to what that means and where real threat is coming from.
EDIT: apologies for the link to American Conservative. That imported from the article
second edit: drop the link 14:42 EDT

14 Likes

CONCORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE — Christopher Cantwell, the neo-Nazi podcaster charged by federal prosecutors with threatening to rape a rival neo-Nazi’s wife has been found guilty of extortion and threats. Jurors acquitted Cantwell of cyberstalking.

15 Likes

You can always strip out the link…

7 Likes

“Enemy of civilization” is just another way of saying “race traitor.”

7 Likes

This whole story defending Rittenhouse effing kills me from both sides. Besides the whole vigilante angle, him showing up there with a gun basically said he did not trust the police to be able to maintain order. He thought the local authorities were not up to the job. :woman_shrugging:t2:

10 Likes

that rob dreher article is bad but the comments to the article are even worse. some of them are along the lines of “shooting them was too clean a death for those people.”

9 Likes
13 Likes

Only the best people, amirite?

11 Likes

It’ll get scary before it gets better.

14 Likes

I think you meant scarier but if you aren’t already scared, I want to let you enjoy these last few moments of joy. :wink:

15 Likes

Denial is a highly underrated survival strategy.

16 Likes