The glorious glitch aesthetic of a machine learning system's attempt to remove cars from a video

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/06/glitch-in-the-matrix.html

2 Likes

Whoa. Deja vu.

9 Likes

25 Likes

What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge traffic?

3 Likes

Scramble wraps. For cars.

2 Likes

studebaker lark

I like to imagine this is what the Romulan cloaking device looked like before they worked out all the kinks.

19 Likes

or an invisibility spell and the caster failed their concentration save…

7 Likes

LFzcsLd

8 Likes

Watching the video, it is actually doing a pretty amazing job of deciding the difference between stationary traffic and street furniture. I’m impressed… and slightly disturbed. How long before the state will be able to un-person “enemies” in real time?

12 Likes

Match moving is already here and could replace someone with a replacement CGI in real time.

3 Likes

5 Likes

It’s magnificent. All the more magnificent for being glitchy, somehow. Even though what it implies about the future is deeply disturbing.

5 Likes

We live in ze future…and it is scary as fuck :frowning:

Wonderful! Reminds me of that camping scene in the first VHS.

1 Like

That’s a first try? Amazing! Google street view without the cars would be a good first application once it works.

1 Like

I love this glitchy version as is. I am hooked on glitch. If I made music videos i’d be messaging this guy right now.

Future prediction: Teenagers on a dare run a final version of this software on their augmented glasses and then run across down or across the street. Just think of the rush.

Also: Hat tip to

The trailer tries to make it into an action movie (it’s not) and has a cringey voice over. But the actually movie is much better.

No, @comedian, when the time comes, you won’t have to.

Another pesky rogue program in the Matrix.

Eternal sunshine!