The GOP candidate who would represent a suburban Chicago district is an open Holocaust denier, white supremacist and anti-Semite

Nazis really believe that it’s all the fault of the Jews. Get rid of the Jews, get rid of all your problems.

It sounds stupid because it is stupid.

(and evil. let’s not forget evil.)

7 Likes

Other people have chimed in with the answer, but it’s always a good time to watch this:

3 Likes

Thankfully that hateful outlook doesn’t represent the vast majority of the modern GOP.

(They blame Mexicans.)

11 Likes

See the problem is they’re only really worried about the word “nazi”.

Cryptofascists and dog whistle racists have plausible deniability. Alt right trolls waving swastikas, but often more obscure white power symbols. Can be dismissed as just joking and thus become “fine people”.

But the explicit “I used to run the Nazi party” Nazi who keeps going “no I’m totally a nazi!” associates them too closely with something (fucking Nazi’s) that most people acknowledge as bad and indefensible. Even the other less open Nazis don’t want to be called Nazi’s.

You cant spin it. Or accuse critics of being the real racists. When the topic of discussion is actual, god damned Nazi’s.

8 Likes

Or poor Black people. Or Muslims. Or…

13 Likes

Evil makes you stupid.

2 Likes

Yes, love the whole voting series. I am sold on the idea of voting for everyone you want to win, and apply your vote until there is a majority winner.

1 Like

ORLY?

1 Like

Every time I see one of these stories, I go back and further look at the people running/in office where I live, and it’s never my people. I’ve got some beefs with my people from time to time, but never anything like this or Roy Moore or the likes.

I often wonder am I a not looking hard enough, or do I need to move somewhere with a base of people completely unlike me, and convince some friends to do the same? Because I can’t seem to figure out a better solution.

Only around half of the 3rd District can really be thought of a “suburban Chicago”. By the time you get down to Lockport and Romeoville, you’re really in rural Illinois. (Though Lockport is a very cool place for anyone into hydraulic engineering.)

Before we get too far into the “silly/despicable GOP” narrative, let’s not forget that in 1986 LaRouchite candidates won the Democratic nominations for Secretary of State and Lieutenant Governor in Illinois. (And there have been LaRouchies getting nominated as Democrats in other states as well, eg the 2000 Wyoming Senate race.)

3 Likes

Fringe candidates often seek out party nominations even from parties they don’t match with particularly well. It’s both an attempt to get money to back their politics. And an attempt to legitimize themselves. You see them most often with 3rd parties or situations like this where it’s an uncontested race. Because it’s easy to slip in there.

But more concerted effort happen too.

2 Likes

In Canada, guys like this would run openly and honestly … as Libertarians. /s

4 Likes

The major parties need to trademark their names and iconography and treat candidates for office like franchisees. Every office, every election, you need a new franchise license.

Oh, and we also need to treat them like the private organizations they are, stop using public funds to pay for their primary process, and give no official public recognition to their existence.

2 Likes

That Congressional district’s boundaries look gerrymandered to create a “safe” district for one party. And it sits next to the Illinois 4th district, which is pretty much the poster-child for gerrymandering.

Absolutely craptastic opposition candidates – or no opposition candidates at all – are what you get when you create districts that are engineered to be winnable by only one party.

2 Likes

Eh, there are arguments in both directions on how to run primaries. But I think any of this would just be tinkering around the edges of a fundamentally poor system. The US system of government has far to many veto points, and a lot of poorly representative democracy 1.0 elements. We know how to do better, and we should, but… well there is a lot of inertia, but see the point about too many vetoes. One nazi losing a general election exceedingly badly rather than just a republican loosing badly is irritating, but not an actually meaningful problem. Far worse is… well… look at the news.

Have to laugh a little though. The solution is to make political parties MORE like McDonalds?

See, this is what I’ve been talkin about. If Republicans=nazis, and libertarians=nazis, then “nazis have no right to speak” has a way, way different meaning.

1 Like

Faulty syllogism much?

I reject not only your fallacious premise, but also the implication that anyone here actually believes either part of it.

7 Likes

This dude is an actually nazi! He self-identifies as a white supremacist and he’s a Republican. If the GOP and if some libertarians don’t want to be branded as white supremacists, maybe they should stop aligning with them and stop pushing nazi-lite policies.

12 Likes

Yeah, well, they did, and look where that got us. I’m more and more in favour of rule by lottery with criminal prosecution at the end of your term if you’re shit at the job…

1 Like

Here’s a thought: if Republicans are worried about Nazis and Klansmen and other white supremacists damaging their brand then maybe they should try to figure out why their party is so appealing to white supremacists.

14 Likes