The great coronavirus toilet paper shortage of 2020

I hit Costco about 3 weeks ago with a specific eye toward having a few extra things in the larder – pasta, coffee, bourbon – there was the usual near-infinite supply of TP there at the time. Just a week later, the panic had started.

Also, pro tip - if you feel like stocking up on some rice and beans, hit up your local Mexican grocery store instead of CostCo. They travel in rice and beans – prices are at least as good as CostCo – and there was no shortage there.

10 Likes

Agreed. And in modest but sufficient quantities, not “Oh my god the world as we know it is going to end and I must have 5 years supply of everything on hand in case it doesn’t” quantities - especially of things that are not strictly essential.

2 Likes

Last week we were legitimately out of toilet paper in our house. Down to the last two rolls (one up stairs, one in the basement). I went to Costco for toilet paper on my break at work and all the toilet paper was gone. It hadn’t dawned on me until that moment that toilet paper hoarding would be a thing. We are a family of 8 in a multigenerational home, and getting the Costco sized pack is really the most economical option for us. So, I sent a text to my daughter in law that Costco was out of TP. I managed to get two 6 packs of toilet paper at Winco before heading home, and my son and dil had picked up another two 6 packs at some other store. It was weird to realize that we had just simultaneously bought exactly as many rolls as we would have if Costco hadn’t been out AND taken part in the great TP Rush of 2020.

17 Likes

I’ve got pine cones over here for sale:

25¢ a piece.

To go only.

11 Likes

36/2 months = 18
18/2 people = 9 rolls per month per person
That’s circa 2 rolls per week per person

Having agreed with @SheiffFatman earlier to delete posts commenting on people’s bowel habits, in case the thread descended into unpleasant bowel habit accusations, I’ll simply - and sheepishly - say that 2 rolls per week per person seems, umm … more than ample?

Maybe the entire world overestimates its TP usage compared to reality and this mass delusion is what is driving the mass hysteria over panic-buying TP. :wink:

And @nixiebunny - not commenting on or intending to start a discussion of your (or anyone’s) bowel habits or personal usage - just using your post as a jumping off point to muse about why everyone seems to think they need so goddam much of the stuff ‘at hand’. Truly, we live in a timeline of social madness. Which is probably where the fuckwits in charge would like to keep us.

8 Likes

Corn cobs? Anybody got any corn cobs?

6 Likes

Not in the PNW

1 Like

I’ve heard the stories of toilet paper panic buying in all the English-speaking countries as well as Hong Kong and Japan, and I’m baffled.

That doesn’t explain people buying six months worth, though. It’s like they’re either planning on using the toilet paper to construct face masks, or they think, after the virus-induced collapse of civilization, they can use the toilet paper for currency…

When I went, they were out of rice (which makes sense, I guess, if people are buying food with the expectation of self-isolating at some point) and bottled water, which… are people mixing up their disaster-preparedness advice and acting as if there’s going to be an earthquake?

Ah, that kind of explains it. (Leaving aside the reality that the US is the world’s number two producer of toilet paper - no pun intended - from domestic paper sources and there aren’t any supply shortages in China, either…) But just about everything comes from China, so why aren’t they panic buying everything else as well?

4 Likes

This is the name of my new punk band :poop:

12 Likes

I was just stocking up in case other people start hoarding …

6 Likes

7 Likes

I work for a company that has 40% of its products produced in Shenzhen, and the two factories we use began shipping to us 2/22. One factory came back online on 2/10 and the other on 2/17 (after 3 to 4 week closure - CNY 2 weeks, 1-2 week govt shutdown) Neither factory is at full capacity because some workers are still not allowed to travel between cities within the Guangdong province.

I have to say that each year our customers normally complain about the two week CNY production dead time, but this year, they’ve been very patient and understanding.

12 Likes

8 Likes

From what I was reading, the Chinese toilet paper manufacturers bounced back faster than other industries, there were no real supply issues and so they’re extra confused as to why there’s toilet paper hoarding in Hong Kong…

5 Likes

wipe-keeping

1 Like

20 Likes

Shop Chinatown.

2 Likes

Being “socially distant” for a couple weeks is fine and responsible, especially in your location. Buying several Costco multi-packs of toilet paper is irrational and incredibly selfish. I’m in Colorado, where we have only a couple cases identified, and was at Costco doing my normal shopping and we need TP. Couldn’t find any. Asked. Was told they restock every morning and then run out. Same is happening with bottled water. Apparently many people don’t realize that water comes from the taps in their houses. No issue with people taking reasonable actions but hoarding as if the end is nigh, well, that’s just dumb.

Stay healthy out there.

9 Likes

SIR OR MADAM

THIS IS BARRISTER JAMES CHRISTIAN OF INTERNET PRIZE COMMITTEE.

YOU HAVE WON INTERNET.

TO RELEASE DELIVER OF YOU PRIZE YOU MUST PAY EXCISE TAX

PLEASE SEND GIFT CARDS VIA CERTIFIED COURIER FOR $7,616 TO BARRISTER JAMES CHRISTIAN, POSTAGE DROP 1011, c/o 7/11, 122 OAK ROAD, NIGERIA

INTERNET WILL BE MAILED TO YOU

15 Likes
2 Likes