Toilet paper panic buying has U.S. groceries stocking Mexican brands

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/15/toilet-paper-panic-buying-has.html

1 Like

Which will inevitably lead to horrific tantrums about how stores are pandering to un’murikan speakers of un’murikan languages…

1 Like

Recently, I’ve noticed that paper towels are out at the local grocery chains where I live. It’s wild how much panic buying keeps happening.

4 Likes

I found the “Americans use much more TP than other countries” surprising and would have liked to know more about that.

A common phenomenon in Mexico that takes some getting used to for some tourists is that many publicly accessible restrooms are pay-to-poo, and it’s common to see one stationed by an attendant (often an elderly woman) who hands out your allotment of toilet paper in exchange for a small fee.

I wonder if any of those abuelitas have had to start contracting private security guards since the global toilet paper shortages started.

That was my experience in West German latrines circa 1975.

“We’re going to build that wall and make the US pay for it.”

2 Likes

It’s wrong (and, if you’ll forgive me, a little sensationalistic) to attribute the toilet-paper shortage to “panic buying”. The cause is that consumer toilet paper is a completely different supply chain from the commercial / industrial one. The linked AP article mentions this:

Part of the reason: People are doing more of their bathroom business at home instead of at work or school.

I made a previous post in this thread that conveyed this thought in a more jerk-like manner. I apologize for that to Xeni, and to others who read it, and to everybody. I got a “flagged post removed by staff” message with a link to the Boing Boing BBS Community guidelines. The first guideline is “Be cool”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.