The great coronavirus toilet paper shortage of 2020

UK supermarkets have said that with a little notice they could ramp up home deliveries to Xmas-type levels of demand but would struggle to get beyond that, which they would need to if the percentages of people self-isolating grow to, say, Chinese levels.

I use an inexpensive bolt-on that has both cold and warm water attachments connecting to the line in your sink – you just turn on the sink water until it runs hot before you use the bidet, and you’re golden! It’s the best $50 I ever spent.

2 Likes

That headline is bullshit. Viruses not only need live cells to propagate, they need pretty specific kinds of cells. A random bacterium isn’t going to host a human pathogen virus.

4 Likes

I mean, most behaviors involving toilet paper are asshole behaviors, are they not?

:smirk:

3 Likes

A reminder- a large portion of the population also uses TP every time we pee and peeing is a fairly frequent activity. Plus some other short term spikes in usage for a substantial sub population of that population every 4 or 5 weeks.

People buying more than a month’s supply for their personal needs are of course being quite unreasonable and unneighborly. Those personal needs are variable though.

16 Likes

This, abso-friggen-loutely.

9 Likes

I like the headline - it implies that toilet paper rolls are not only infectious and virus somehow breeds in them like they would be a living organisms, but also that they have the disease (COVID is an abbreviation for coronavirus disease, not the name of a virus). Maybe it’s necessary to pack an IR thermometer for the next TP shopping spree :rofl:

Well, it is, just like a mattress:

7 Likes
2 Likes

Now that it’s officially a pandemic, the hordes will sweep everything.

/brb, groceries…

Obvious joke is obvious!

3 Likes

Seriously…

Get powdered milk. It tastes like crap but you can cook with it and save the good stuff for drinking.

Get stuff you’re willing to eat normally. Canned tomatoes are really versatile. If nothing happens, you have food to eat and you don’t need to go shopping for a while.

Freeze single serving sizes. This allows for quick prep if you feel sick, or quick lunches for work if you can’t be arsed to make one.

I made sure I have cheese in the freezer and pancake mix in the cupboard.

You can freeze eggs. Crack 'em open, scramble them up a bit in a bowl so the yolks break and pour into ice-cube trays or small muffin trays. Block cheeses freeze well, too. So does butter.

If you do get sick/quarantined/supply lines go down, you’ll have food to ride it out. You don’t, well, you don’t need to grocery shop for a while and/or have RTE (or RTE adjacent) meals for easy grabbing.

It’s not hoarding, it’s just making life easier in the long run. AKA how a single person can shop at Costco and not waste everything.

7 Likes

:man_facepalming:

5 Likes
8 Likes

The toilet paper section, midday today at my local grocery store:

A few packs of Cottonelle and Angel Soft, limit 2.
There are no confirmed cases of Covid-19 in this state, yet.

2 Likes

Pictures of empty shelves certainly pack some emotional heft, but this is literally what happens if even small disruptions in supply or increases in demand happen, with our contemporary “just-in-time” supply chains. Clearing of shelves can happen if people are buying 10% more of something.

5 Likes

72-pack of Starbucks French Roast K-pods. AKA a week’s worth of coffee. :smiley:

3 Likes

I was annoyed today getting paracetamol for a migraine - the panic buyers had already stripped the shelves!

5 Likes

For certain definitions of coffee

6 Likes

I think it’s “coffee” not coffee…

5 Likes

Next thing, you’ll be telling me it wasn’t roasted in France! :astonished:

7 Likes