The Great De-identified List of Ban-Reasons on bbs.boingboing.net

Never knew this existed. Surely ‘troll’ has been posted already, and I know dates aren’t supposed to be posted, but, 2288!? There’s no coming back from that.

“This user is suspended until September 16, 2288 8:43am.
Reason: “I’m a male white gamer and I NEVER harassed nor witnessed any harassment AT ALL.”-Troll”

I love the specificity of the date.

“NO! 43 seconds in the corner, no more no less”.

" one miiillion years dungeon!!"

2 Likes

That gif is belly chuckling funny.

The "nooo… “, " yeeeesss…”, and “oh ffs” looks on their faces are amazing.

I think these long ban times are sort of poking fun with the Singularity as well. If we eventually do hit the singularity before maybe 2070 or so, it’s reasonable to expect some of us to live practically forever (as software, or cyborgs (not forever, but there’s a decent chance of living till all the stars burn out)).

From that standpoint, getting banned for a few hundred years isn’t that particularly long.

1 Like

Precisely, and it makes them funnier. :). I just love the dichotomy of strange numbers and humans expectations.

CSB. I once presented a list of 43 items to my CEO that needed to be addressed. His first question was
, “why 43 and not 40 or 50?”. My answer was, “… Because it is 43”. He made me change it to 50.

1 Like

Oh for the sake of FSM we need to start a language thread. It, them, me, us, they, etc are mutable, overloaded words.

{I like how I threw in etc {holy crap! {Michael bay inception!! {Return to function call!!!}}}}

2 Likes

We do love our rounded-to-the-nearest-fives, don’t we? I wonder how much it had to do with the number of fingers we ended up with in each limb.

This user is suspended until September 18, 2288 6:59pm.
Reason: Requested by commenter.

Can’t argue with that.

3 Likes

I would have put in seven items saying “This item is intentionally left blank”.

11 Likes

Continuing the discussion from New Hugo Award categories for puppies:

:white_check_mark: added

3 Likes

It should go without saying, but

#I AM NOT AN OFFICIAL OF THIS FORUM

#I DID NOT BAN YOU

#I CANNOT UN-BAN YOU

I am merely a collector of words, sentences and phrases revolving around a particular subject area.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Brianna Wu uploads Gamergate death threat to shame Ohio prosecutor:

1 Like

#OfficialMichael

8 Likes

I meant no scheme. I merely posed a little academic forum theory. It was just a thought.

I had forgotten this existed!

1 Like

I bookmarked. For posterity.

2 Likes

I just search.

I’m delighted at the search function @codinghorror has here. Most of them are flat-out useless, but this one works. You can even type a search and wait for the auto-populated answers and middle-click one. I love that. :smile:

5 Likes

This user is suspended until August 22, 2289 6:39pm.
Reason: “At this point, it’s like, who cares about Black Lives Matter!? WHATEVER! So last year.”

7 Likes

This user is suspended until November 30, 2016 5:39am.
Reason: Using racist slurs

Well…it looks like he got…muzzled

< dons shades >

13 Likes

Shit. One of the reasons for banning is failure to be cool? But even when I think I am, I know I’m not.

Legal rantings also scares me. I have no other mode when discussing the tax code.