The greatest moment in the history of conservative comedy

I remember watching the first episode of this out of morbid curiosity. As I recall most of the “jokes” and skits were basically “look at this feminist! Aren’t the things she thinks funny?”

1 Like

“Chicks, amirite?” [holds up hand for unrequited high five]

2 Likes

5 Likes

I dunno, Ghostbusters made money and a lot of people still don’t notice its reactionary politics

3 Likes

There was a clear “yay for small-business entrepreneurs, down with big-government regulation” undercurrent in that movie but I don’t recall the jokes themselves leaning especially conservative. Am I forgetting something?

6 Likes

I haven’t seen it in a long time, but the whole subplot where it was supposed to be hilarious that incel dude was gonna do it with Sigourney Weaver wasn’t exactly woke either

3 Likes

Well, fuck me.

[mopes, kicks a rock]

1 Like

That was a problematic sub-plot in a lot of '80s comedies of varying quality (“Revenge of the Nerds”, “16 Candles”, and “Porky’s” immediately come to mind). I can’t put the trope down to being a specifically conservative ideological statement but rather ascribe it to the casually sexist nature of American culture at the time.

That’s closer to it being conservative and anti-statist, but really I just think they needed the obligatory authority-figure villain and an EPA bureaucrat fit the bill for the plot.

3 Likes

[quote=“byron_p, post:16, topic:174227”]
it didn’t really show in most of her books

That was the “revised version” of the title - the original is much worse.

A link to it (I’m not gonna post it) is here

That notwithstanding, it’s a great story - the recent BBC adaptation is particularly good.

1 Like

Nor is rock music, from all appearances.

4 Likes

Four words: dodecatuple secret platinum account.

1 Like

Nor is painting…

4 Likes

Oh boy…I had no idea about that original title

Not a fan of McNaughton, I take it?

3 Likes

I refuse to acknowledge that shit as part of my reality.

I was thinking of W, specifically:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.