“The Hateful Eight” trailer is out. Quentin Tarantino's 8th film looks pretty great

Too bad the rest of us see gun owners shooting citizens as part of the problem, not hollywood.

3 Likes

Mad Max: Fury Road did okay. And I expect there will be a few butts in the Star Wars seats next month. And there are very good reasons why Tarantino’s movies are successful. I like that he went to the effort and expense of shooting in 70mm, for the sheer spectacle that nobody will be able to see at home. Very few directors would be able to convince a studio to absorb that hit, especially since so few theaters will be able to take full advantage of it. So my hat’s off to him for that.

Then again, Ron Howard did it with Far and Away, and while I hear he’s a swell guy, his movie sure wasn’t any good.

7 Likes

Hey, I liked the first half.

3 Likes

I absolutely love the last half-hour. Everything before that is, for me, an extended popcorn-and-pinball-and-pee break.

1 Like

@Donald_Petersen is anything but a dick. He’s one of the most thoughtful and creative writer’s in this community. You’re privileged to read his posts sir.

7 Likes

With all the regulars, I see.

I don’t know what to make of Tarantino. I always enjoy his films, and he certainly has an interesting, identifiable style, but most of his movies don’t stand up to repeated viewings like a lot of classics (too much to ask, maybe). I think his fondness for obscure, exploito B-movies might be the underlying factor: his films aren’t really deep, but they are so fun to watch, like he has set out to raise those B-movies to high art, and very nearly succeeds.

I will admit, this one looks good from the trailer.

2 Likes

But the last part wouldn’t have been nearly as good without the first. The audience had to hate those annoying bitches so they could root for the gore in the end. Otherwise how could we all live with ourselves afterwards?

1 Like

I had no intentions of seeing this movie in the theaters until I heard there was a laughably silly boycott being put on by racist cops against the film because Tarantino called cops “murderers”… which they are.

Maybe I’ll take the partner and a few friends!

8 Likes

Oh, I know. That’s why I used “sound like” and “might” instead of declaring him a (for example) “self-important douche.”

1 Like

Touche! :wink:

4 Likes

Bwahh! :smiley:

1 Like

So which awesome scene that appears in the trailer will somehow fail to appear in the film this time?

He’s got a lot more justification for having his name above the title than some directors though.

2 Likes

www.latimes.com

Quentin Tarantino ‘not backing down’ from remarks on police brutality

“I’m a human being with a conscience,” Tarantino said at the rally. “And when I see murder I cannot stand by. And I have to call the murdered the murdered and I have to call the murderers the murderers.”

4 Likes

Saw this trailer when we went to see Age of Ultron. In May.

You are aware that @Donald_Petersen has had plenty more occasion to have run-ins with anyone in Hollywood than pretty much anyone else that comments on this site, are you not? His office is generally located on a movie studio lot.

@some_guy: I recommend watching Django Unchained at least 3 times. On first viewing the violence is all you see. On the second viewing, the story begins to emerge. By the third viewing, you’ll see it’s actually pretty brilliant. Tarantino may be an ass in person, but he writes compelling stories and gets very good performances out of the actors he works with.

4 Likes

(actually, I have seen it twice already, and that is why I put “most of his movies don’t stand up to repeated viewings”-- I don’t mean to denigrate Tarantino, he has his own unique niche in the film world, it’s just not my ideal cup of tea.)

1 Like

I’m going to wear my cowboy hat and put extra wax on my mustache when I go see that.

1 Like

sarcastic-but-not-too-sarcastic.gif

2 Likes

I think Tarantino has found his genre in Westerns. I hope he continues along this vein.