The hedgehog and Bath thread

The 70s were a very, very strange time for hedgehog rock.

6 Likes

Okay people, I shall put this in two places. Behold, Three Hedgie Moon:

What do you guys think of the stylizing of the hedgehog? I did brush strokes but nothing really dramatic. Would it be better if the cute one in the lower right were showing teeth?

9 Likes

9 Likes

I was told that nobody bathes in the actual Roman bath anymore because it’s become contaminated with a lethal microbe.

However, I am still alive, so mileage may vary.

2 Likes

The Romans used lead in all their plumbing and there’s traces of lead in the water, but there’s also bacteria in the water they discovered after people started getting meningitis after bathing there. Low chance of infection, though.

3 Likes

So yesterday I made this for reasons that made more sense when I was on a ton of cold meds/decongestants/dextromorphan, etc.:

6 Likes

Are these Her Highness’s loyal subjects, offering tribute of their first-baked baked goods?

2 Likes

It’s an offering that’s perhaps like prima nocta except with pie/cookies.

The unicorn horn that indicates that this is Princess Sparklepants, the unicorn version.
There are currently three versions:
Princess Pricklepants (normal)
Princess Sparklepants (unicorn)
Princess Evilpants (goateed supervillain hedgehog)

In my head the offering was out of robo-gratitude for saving them from Princess Evilpants. It was also an excuse to add a glow/rainbow/lens flare to something since it’s fun.

3 Likes

I’ve found a scholarly article which proposes that this mysterious work is a representation of the myth of the kindly Birthday Princess Hedgicorn, who selflessly sacrifices her glowing horn to stand as the candle on the cakes of the poor.

These questions remain:

Is one of the figures in the crowd modeled after the artist’s patron?

Why does the hedgehog figure knowingly look out at the observer?

[edited for syntax]

4 Likes

It makes sense that the work draws from core mythic archetypes. The archetypal significance of noble lineage, unicorns, and robots through the ages have left a deep mark.

I think we can see the group of robots as being akin to the figures to the side in Raphael’s The School of Athens. The pie signifies the universality of mathematical truths, while cookies refer to geography. The robots are an enigma, both signifying concrete and specific specimens, while at the same time pointing to the universal. And in their particularity we may discover the little red one is the artist (just as Raphael’s fresco included a self-portrait) since the artist had that toy robot as a child.

Her Highness likes to break the fourth wall (she likes to break various things, really), stepping out of the dramatic matrix in which she dwells to show a higher (and often ironic) level of awareness of the context of the drama qua drama. You can see this illustrated here as well, where she breaks convention, the fourth wall, some china, and a piece of furniture:

10 Likes

@nemomen have you seen this?

8 Likes

Isn’t it awesome?

4 Likes

Hedgehogs have complicated relationships with squirrels, as it turns out. We have an update on the delightful campaign making progress, anarchist squirrels, riots over alleged vote fraud, and also science.

4 Likes

This sentence alone has fulfilled all my wildest dreams of what this thread could accomplish.

Fantastic!

9 Likes

I’m not sure where to put this one, so I’ll just leave it here.

6 Likes

Our hedgehog has been engaged in quite a lot of research of hedgehogs in art history recently. Now the story can be told:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 324 days. New replies are no longer allowed.