The hidden lever to raise aisle seat armrests on commercial planes

People with medical issues often need to not have to carry their bag on their arm or shoulder through an entire airport PLUS need to carry medical items with them.

4 Likes

For some reason, when my family flies, one of us will randomly get PreCheck status. We’ve never signed up for anything, and I’m the only one with a mileage plan number since I book all the flights.

We never get to actually use it since there’s no point in one of us going through precheck alone to then stand around waiting for the rest of the party.

The armrest thing is good for the window seat, but I’ve had issues with having the armrest up on the aisle side. Most often it’s being told to put it back down, or getting rammed by the drink cart. As far as the overhead bins go, I use the gate check deal. Most flights will run out of bin space and you can usually get your bag checked for free at the gate. There will be an announcement or you can ask about it.

My Sentri (which gives me Global Entry privilege) interview is a month from now. Normally, I don’t mind a queue, but I’ll be glad to be done with Disney-esque wait times.

Oh absolutely. I mean, I can think of times where I was saying to myself, watching my flight take off, “I would pay $100 to be on that plane right now…”.

Totally pays for itself. I definitely have made at least on flight so far I would have missed.

As long as airlines charge for checked bags, your plan probably won’t produce the desired effect.

2 Likes

It’s been two years since I flew but I definitely haven’t deplaned that fast since they started charging for the first piece of checked luggage.

The real secret is gate checking. :laughing: Free and a billion times less obnoxious than trying to find space in the overhead bin since the airlines decided to charge for regular checked luggage.

(Of course, if we all did it they’d start charging for gate checking and I’d ship my stuff UPS just to spite the airlines.)

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re saying here. I did not comment on the quickness of deplaning in-and-of-itself.

Perhaps you misread my comment (?)
I did NOT say you would deplane in 30seconds.
I said you’d deplane about 30seconds AFTER the horde of people who crush to deplane immediately - if you waited in your seat until they left to get your ‘behind-you’ bag.

There’s a lot of difference between half way through the horde and waiting until the entire horde passes you by. A lot more than 30 seconds. Gate checking saves you all of the time and frustration.

Okay, so… maybe 2 minutes then?
I mean are you arguing that waiting for most passengers to deplane past you is a time-frame that’s gonna be detrimental or impactful to the rest of your trip?
Because my point is that it’s going to be a negligible amount of time for you to wait in your seat for a bit until you can get to your bag unhindered and without interfering with deboarding passengers - as opposed to “swimming upstream” though people trying to get off the plane to get to your bag.

I mean, I’m just not sure what you’re arguing or why you’re hung up on 30-seconds when we might be talking about maybe 2-minutes (ish) instead - compared to, what, a 2 hour flight or more.
(note: on a regular 737 I’m comfortable with the 30-second claim)

And gate checking can be hit-or-miss depending on what the baggage claim situation is. If you like it, go for it. But it’s not some magic bullet for everyone.

I’m not going to respond to you any more on this… because… why.

So, your idea is to force my 75 year old mother to carry her bag all the time?

2 Likes

Good point. I hadn’t thought about that. I hereby grant an exemption for the elderly and disabled. Okay?

My idea could also include exceptions for those with special needs.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.