The hilariously practical reason why He-Man has a giant green tiger

And yet vertebrates already share one, biliverdin. It’s the stuff that makes some eggs blue-green, duck and goose feces green, and then some lizards and fish have it in large enough amounts to have green blood. It’s a waste product but is repurposed for visual color in a lot of invertebrates like insects…among vertebrates what I could find suggests it might in a very few fish, like bluish varieties of perch, though like you say certainly not often.

But that does mean it isn’t actually the case that vertebrates can’t synthesize green pigments. They do and instead there is something else that keeps them from using them that way.

4 Likes

I was going to answer “well, yes, it isa waste product, and toxic in larger quantities”, but then, 1) this isn’t as clear any longer as it was during the time I was learning biochemistry and metabolic pathways, and 2) having a waste product would not necessarily mean it can’t be used in fur pigmentation…

Well, it isn’t really stable when exposed to light as far as I remember. That might be a good reason for many green pigments…

3 Likes

Are you sure it isn’t light stable? The related porphyrin pigments usually aren’t…though the best known example of vertebrates with a legitimately green pigment, turacos, have a porphyrin pigment containing copper. But biliverdin or its protein complexes definitely work for some worms, the odd green spider, and a lot of insects, so it can’t be that it isn’t chemically suited for the job.

4 Likes

Please stay away from military UAVs. They already tried that once…

4 Likes

What if I want to go is wherever the cat is going? :thinking:

As the guy who painted the tiger green to not sell the idea learned, you can’t fight the charisma of a large cat.

3 Likes

This is probably more my style:

“Put a fucking saddle on it!”

10 Likes

“The Toys that Made Us” is really great. Most of the toys they go into a deep-dive on were after my time, but all the stories were fascinating.

6 Likes

A couple of quotes stand out from the test pilot feedback “a new and unwelcome experience" and “particularly harrowing”.

I’m guessing this product or service would attract primarily negative reviews.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.