The Iron Mask is a fantasy adventure movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jackie Chan and Rutger Hauer, and is definitely real

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/13/the-iron-mask-is-a-fantasy-adv.html

4 Likes

15 Likes

Seems to be missing France and some Musketeers…

Apparently, instead of Dumas, this movie is inspired by Gogol (at least, the first film was)

7 Likes

Meh. It’ll be silly, but I’ll still see it. Maybe even at the theater. Looks like it’ll still be better than that Great Wall film, which was serious crapolla.

5 Likes

What more can a mere mortal ask for?

4 Likes

I thought Tony Stark died? Ah - a prequel.

9 Likes

It’s heartening to know that a terrible movie can come from anywhere, at any time.

5 Likes

I get the feeling the Flemyng-in-China stuff is the actual movie and the Schwarzenegger-Chan thing is a brief frame story around it.

Yeah, one set, one fight scene with a lot of banter framing the main story, 10 minutes screen time tops. A paycheque’s a paycheque.

I have never seen it [Jaws 4] but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific! – Michael Caine

Also, those CGI cityscapes that look like they were lifted from 2009-vintage RTS games.

11 Likes

Looks like fun. If this looks like your cup of tea, let me recommend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tk80iXCspM

1 Like

Huh, the movie version of a bologna sandwich on stale bread. No thanks.
Screenshot 2020-02-13 10.07.13

6 Likes

“Rutger Hauer (his final performance!?)”

I was about to yell at you for putting that out into the universe, then I hit the Google. How did I not know he died?! Between Ladyhawke and Blind Fury, he was my primary male role model for a couple of years there.

5 Likes

Pity we never had a movie with Rutger Hauer, Christopher Walken, and Klaus Kinsky.

7 Likes

Oh god, I had forgotten about “Blind Fury”. Do yourself a favor and check out “Hobo With a Shotgun” if you haven’t already. Some awesome-grade Hauer in that one.

5 Likes

arnold…playing slapstick? count me in. hello, handsome stranger!

3 Likes

It looks ridiculous. I’m in.

Where was Rutger Hauer? If he doesn’t mention wishing he had a shot gun, then just throw the whole movie away and start over.

4 Likes

I’ve seen parts of it, just never had the chance to catch the whole thing at once. Now that I know he’s dead, I feel I owe it to him.

3 Likes

CGI epics feel so unearthly and wrong to me, like algorithmically generated children’s youtube videos: just a bunch of elements we recognize and like congealed into a strange whole that has a weird glossy sheen and is missing some basic elements of humanity that you can’t quite put your finger on.

3 Likes

I would want to add in Willem Dafoe to that cast.

3 Likes

Is it wrong that I thought “Arnold’s british accent is pretty convincing” when I first saw the trailer?

Also, did a chinese movie studio really give Tommy Wiseau that much cash to make a movie?

1 Like

More convincing than his American accent at least.