Werner Herzog Halloween costume

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/25/werner-herzog-halloween-costume.html

10 Likes

Aw man, I wanted to go as Herzog but my mom got me this stupid Fassbinder costume instead. Now all the other kids are going to make fun of me.
/kicks pebble

16 Likes

I’ve been waiting for a Klaus Kinski costume myself.

13 Likes
7 Likes

“Why do we wear masks on Halloween? Is it to insulate our delicate egos against the cold horrors of an uncaring universe, or to disguise our misery and emptiness from those around us?” – Werner Herzog

13 Likes

Why can’t it be both?

9 Likes

“We tell ourselves that the law of halloween is candy and tricks and treats, but in doing so, we deceive ourselves. The law of halloween is murder.”

God, I want this costume. I would wear it in all my Zoom meetings.

9 Likes

I’ve been waiting for a Klaus Kinski costume myself.

The ultimate married couple costume.

15 Likes

My local dollar store has a knock-off version of this called “The Sole Eater”.

4 Likes

I’d love to watch a commercial for this costume narrated by Herzog: “Perceive the horror as you stare into the mask…”

6 Likes

I watched “Fitzcarraldo” the first time about two months ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

9 Likes

Have you seen Les Blank’s doc ‘Burden of Dreams’ about the making of Fitzcarraldo? It’s well worth a watch.

9 Likes

My favourite story from that shoot is how Herzog made everyone actually carry the riverboat over the land portion of the journey.

8 Likes

When I tried Wim Wenders everyone thought I was doing Doc Brown.

3 Likes

Yeah, uh, a guy died doing that.

3 Likes

Fitzcarraldo is a favorite of mine and I feel like the film itself is incomplete without a Burden of Dreams chaser! The parallels make it seem like a… meta-allegory or something.

4 Likes

Seems like there should be a David Lynch costume, too.

11 Likes

Why does this remind me of the bulldog with the human face from Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie?

3 Likes

I agree. Have you read ‘Conquest of the Useless’, Herzog’s journals from his time making Fitzcarraldo? They too are really illuminating and deepen the whole Fitzcarraldo experience.

2 Likes

I only recently found out it exists! Thanks for the suggestion… it’s definitely on my list, though I should make sure to keep it near the top so it doesn’t get lost.

2 Likes