The joy of home improvement projects is captured in this TikTok

My former self feels seen.

It has now been (checks poker chips on desk) two years and three months since my last attempt at plumbing. I sometimes feel the pull, but then I remember the adventures of trying to work out which fittings are metric in a fifty-year-old house.

If it involves connecting pipes, I just call a plumber now. My whole family gets to stay sane and have hot showers the very same day.

4 Likes

I tried to have that done when I had both bathrooms remodeled, I really did. Apparently, that’s just not something that’s done in residential plumbing, unless you are some kind of mutant. :wink: But things just spiraled out of my control. That’s on the list of “things what can use improvement when time and funds permit” for me.

If that.

I’ll also state for the record that the system that American Standard uses on their Champion series toilets is… very finicky and does not like being adjusted at all, especially if you’ve had to replace the sealing ring on it because the one that came with the tank was defective and started leaking after a year. :frowning:

(When I get it to properly flush though, it’s fantastic.)

3 Likes

proudly flies the ‘Happy Mutant’ flag

2 Likes

It’s amazing how much building codes vary from place to place (even town to town). Where I live, shut off valves on every fixture are code. I have hot and cold shut offs under every faucet, tub, toilet, etc.

2 Likes

One of the main reasons I wanted to buy our house was that everything was soldered copper, every pipe was labeled and there were shutoff valves at every important junction, including the main line in and the break where it diverts water to the furnace. I’ve documented here before the misadventures of moving in and finding the p-trap in the bathtub was composed of nothing but calcium crust, but other than that, I’ve been able to correct every issue by tightening a valve stem cap or some other simple leak. It’s also a classic, boring ranch, so all utilities are consolidated into the furnace room, which is located in the center of the basement and will only freeze if things go really sideways.

One of my next projects has to be running an exterior line out to the front of the house as it only has one on the backside of the house which is basically a cliff. I keep fighting myself over my compulsion to just run Pex and make it easy vs doing it the right way. I’ll probably just run a hose around the house this year, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.