The latest trailer for Universal Pictures' "First Man" about Neil Armstrong is absolutely perfect

Both of which supplanted the one about how we went there because the Man in the Moon was hoarding a lot of something very tasty.

2 Likes

is a Cure fan!

boosh-moon-lovecats

4 Likes

Obviously, I meant that Neil Armstrong and Dr Katherine Johnson are going to be each remembered by name in 10,000 years.

There were 400,000 people involved in Apollo and I’m glad Dr Johnson is getting her due these days, but Neil Armstrong is the one everyone will remember. It may not be fair (although it’s more fair than any other single result) but it’s also true.

I don’t know about that, though. Sometimes people who one generation deem as central to their historical memory get forgotten much later.

And who knows if our civilization as it stands will be remembered at all 10,000 years from now, at least in a way we want to be remembered.

5 Likes

Well, I for one am excited to see this. I was an extra in one of the press conference scenes (not the one in this trailer), playing a photographer. I hope I make the final cut.

Besides that, I’m a life-long a space program enthusiast. I’ve always seen it, despite any shortcomings, as a fine example of human cooperation and achievement for a positive, common goal.

8 Likes

1 Like

Shoulders of giants, etc etc. There were literally thousands of people Armstrong^ was utterly dependant on. But none of them climbed into the can with him and lit the fire cracker.

^ And Aldrin, and Chaffee, and Cernan, and Grissom, and Schirra, and Collins, and White, and the other twenty four Apollo astronauts who are as forgotten as Johnson.

8 Likes

It’s not truly an Apollo movie if Brian Eno didn’t do the score.

If the trailer’s musical score is what I’ll hear in the theater - I’ll be gritting my teeth through what might otherwise be a great movie.

2 Likes

He’ll be played by Adam Sandler.

1 Like

Both.

We can have both.

While posturing to “beat the ruskies” was part of it. It was ALSO to push space exploration. Kennedy was big into future forward in this regard.

If we can have both in other things we can have both on this one.

5 Likes

I do believe that when we venture forth as Roddenberry saw it into space the moon race/landing will be well regarding as a seminal moment. My optimistic side.

1 Like

Sure, but star trek future is only a few hundred years away… 10,000, who knows if we’ll even exist or how different will be. We might be entirely unrecognizable in who we are, especially if we travel to the stars and colonize space.

3 Likes

Can they stop with the BWAAAAAH in trailers already? I think the movie will be good, more of an annoyance with the trailer.

2 Likes

I have to say this trailer looks like general Hollywood garbage.

But I did learn from it that he went to the moon in a Gemini capsule, and I guess landed in the Agena target vehicle.

3 Likes

I learned from the trailer that his wife yells at him a whole lot while he looks pensively into the distance.

5 Likes

But why? Even if you think the moon landing itself was so amazing (I think it pales in comparison to many other 20th century accomplishments such as the splitting of the atom, lasers, the Internet, the discovery of adaptive immunity, and molecular biology), why should the credit go to the guy in the tin can? He seemed like a nice guy and I suppose he was brave in the same way test pilots are, but any of those could have taken his place and history would be unchanged.

2 Likes

You could say the same thing about Charles Lindbergh but few people remember the names of the aircraft engineers who designed and built The Spirit of St. Louis.

9 Likes

Holy crap, it just occurred to me that the amount of time that passed between the release of the film Apollo 13 and today is almost as long as the amount of time that passed between the actual Apollo 13 mission and the release of the movie.

13 Likes

A lot of useful technology has come from space exploration and experiments in space. And just with our current goal to colonize the moon or Mars, there’s very useful technology that can come from such endeavors.