The legal battle over those novelty Sea Monkeys and X-Ray Specs involves white supremacy and a 60s bondage film star

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/09/the-legal-battle-over-those-no.html

3 Likes

Well, what do you expect from a guy with a name like a villain from a cheap B-movie?
At one point he sold invisible goldfish. That qualifies as “evil genius”, albeit in the low level & weird category.

6 Likes
2 Likes

The batch of Sea Monkeys that I whipped up mid-March is still thriving:

9 Likes

“Oh bondage, up yours.” --X-Ray Spex

6 Likes

For the record, sea monkeys are born from dry, dormant eggs. Always fresh, never frozen.

6 Likes

Came here to post this!

3 Likes

Ohhhhh snap one of those vacuum (not)windmills! I had one of those growing up, no idea what happened to it.
Now I have ideas. vacuum zoetrope!?!

5 Likes

I met Harold von Braunhut in 1992 when I was an intern on the TV show The Amazing Live Sea Monkeys. He visited the production studio at one point. He looked like a white haired mad scientist type from what I remember.We spoke a bit and he told me about his plans on making freeze-dried lobsters that would revolutionize the seafood industry.

This, by the way, at 1:07, was my smoking jacket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSO9kALF_cc

8 Likes

As kids we got both Sea Monkeys and X-Ray Specs from the legendary Johnson-Smith catalog (as popular as Mad magazine with pre-teen boys back then), and I can verify they were both very very disappointing. The Sea Monkeys were kind of interesting in a grade-school-science-class kinda way for a day or two.

[ETA: I remember trying out the X-ray Specs, and me and my brother were both like “Ohhhhhkaaaayy . . . . I get it. . . what a rip-off.”]

5 Likes

Howie wasn’t so squeamish back then

That was just his cover for his ultimate creation…

3 Likes

Behind the Bastards has an interesting podcast episode on this subject.

“And this is why there are hierarchies in nature.”

1 Like
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.