The Lincoln Library executive director got fired for renting Glenn Beck the original Gettysburg Address

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/24/shall-not-perish.html

3 Likes

So Glenn Beck, shitheel extraordinaire is privately locking up historical artifacts. It’s takes a special kind of dickhead to outdo the asshollery of rare private art collectors.

30 Likes

“It is very susceptible to light. We want this document to stay around for generations.”

Beck is very vulnerable in the light of truth. We don’t want this douchebag to stay around at all.”

29 Likes

z300

33 Likes

Nosferatu is great in Blu-ray!

14 Likes

For a second at least.

15 Likes

was “pimping out” the library’s treasures (including the Declaration)

By Beck’s own admission, he did not exhibit the Declaration at his museum.

I didn’t miss something, did I? Or is Nicholas Cage involved?

20 Likes

I confess, one of those things actually belongs in the Beck Museum of American Fascism.

5 Likes

I’m no doubt supposed to ask why it’s called that, but I’ll just assume it’s an allusion to some tiresome white nationalist trope about the first white chimp murdered in space or something.

9 Likes

TIL: You can rent the original Gettysburg Address.

8 Likes

Makes sense. You can buy the Presidency.

22 Likes

Well, you and I probably can’t.

16 Likes

True.

I think shit like that would have made the movie National Treasure a bit shorter.

What? We could have rented it?

*Forhead Slap*

16 Likes

Beck fancies himself akin to Orson Welles and his Mercury theater troupe apparently.(According to wikipedia) Well both trafficked in fiction. But the original was very left wing and Beck is a fascist.

15 Likes

This story prompted me to look up what Glenn Beck’s position on the Confederacy is. Frankly kind of surprised to learn he seems firmly on the side of reality on that topic (which is to say, he says it was an unconstitutional war against the U.S. government in the name of preserving and expanding the institution of slavery).

I guess it’s an indication of the times we live in that acknowledging that basic historical reality actually puts him at odds with a huge portion of the American public.

20 Likes

I suppose someone should check it for fluids now.

11 Likes

The tear stains can’t have been good for it.

7 Likes

My first thought was literally that I hoped he didn’t blubber over it. Good to know I wasn’t alone.

5 Likes

Seems to me this is the first news I’ve heard of Mr. Beck in some time. So, $50,000 well-spent, I suppose? I might venture that this director knew he would get fired but was weary of working for this debt-ridden institution anyway (and quietly pocketed a good percentage of that fee). I might further venture that a forgery of “two sheets of handwritten paper” acceptable for the likes of Beck et al. might be not at all difficult to produce.

Anyway, if Lincoln’s Presidential Library is really in such serious financial trouble, then as bad as this is (and I have no doubt that it’s pretty darn bad), surely there are much worse things that might likely happen to its collection if additional revenue streams are not found?

3 Likes

Remember when Glenn Beck briefly tried to “pivot” to being a non-nutcase and tried to join the anti-Trump brigade? As if the decade or so of anti-Obama insanity he sowed could be forgiven overnight. No one would have him, so he went back to being an asshole.

8 Likes