The magical future of virtual reality

[Read the post]

I take comfort in the notepad and box of pencils on the desk.

1 Like

“The magical future” is precisely what has made virtual reality so obscure for so many years, and many are still trying to spin it that way. “The practical present” of virtual reality has always been far more interesting.

The first virtual reality demo I was truly blown away by was the VR Lascaux Cave, created in the mid-90s by one of my college professors, commissioned by the government of France to let people explore the caves without going inside. It was, for the time, really magical, although the creators couldn’t help putting wacky whimsical things in all the rooms, like sculptures or dinner tables.

1 Like

Isn’t that video technically augmented reality?

After having read TFA, I’m curious about the term “mixed reality”. It’s the first time I’ve encountered it, though I’ve been familiar with VR and AR for years.

Can anyone explain the difference between AR and MR? Or is MR just the new term for AR?

Came hoping to read about a VR adaptation of Salman Rushdie, then realized this wasn’t about the virtual future of magical reality.

There is a lot of overlap between what people call MR and AR. The “difference” is supposed to be that some refer to AR as “computer models overlaid upon real-world”. But I think its a bogus distinction. Common-sense may suggest that what runs on an electronic computer is a “simulation” running in “reality”, but much of contemporary physics suggests that matter itself is merely a simulation unfolding from an implicate substrate of “super-reality” more real than this one. In short - there is not enough consensus to speak meaningfully about what it means to say that something is reality, nor a simulation of it.

Also, MR is probably a tactic to avoid using the word “augmented”, which many associate with transhumanism, via Max More and others.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, though it still seems unclear.

Isn’t that the same definition as MR? I’m not seeing the difference.

The key bit is: “a mix of reality and virtual reality, encompassing both augmented reality and augmented virtuality”

Some people make a distinction between AR as being computer models integrated in physical environments, and AV as being physical objects integrated within computer-modelled environments. So, for those people, MR is a term which is inclusive of both. This doesn’t concern me so much as I considered them to not present a meaningful distinction in the first place.

*R seems to be plastic flowers

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.