The Mainstreaming of Psychedelics

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/25/the-mainstreaming-of-psychedel.html

7 Likes

Mainstream is pretty much the same concept as totalitarianism. There are as many ways to do things as there are people. It is a coercive and destructive outlook - even when the content is something as benign as psychedelics.

1 Like

I for one welcome our hallucinogenic provding overlords!

14 Likes

[Citation needed]

8 Likes

5 Likes

Every time you guys post using that pic of the Multitudes of Shades of Happiness™ I find myself parsing them all to see which ones I have personal experience with. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

More Soma!

4 Likes

Odd to see talk of “mainstreaming psychedelics” around medical use of MDMA and Ketamine.

Maybe I’m showing my age, but I tend to associate ‘pychedelic’ with the serotonergic ‘classical hallucinogens’, the 5-HT(2A) agonists, (mostly lysergamides, phenethylamines and tryptamines), not things like MDMA, (a substituted amphetamine that’s more of an empathogen/entactogen) and Ketamine (a dissociative that strongly inhibits NMDA receptors - among other things).

I’m encouraged to see MDMA and Ketamine getting revived medical use (that is, after all, where they started) , but I’ll buy “mainsteaming of psychedelics” when they’re routinely offering terminal geriatric patients a choice of LSD, DMT, or Mescaline as a form of palliative care. (-:

9 Likes

Soy sauce is also exactly the same as totalitarianism. And so is line dancing!

11 Likes

6 Likes

Oh yeah! I’m glad I’m not the only one who loved that movie. (Though the book, of course, was better.)
“It be openin’ doors to other worlds, mon!”

(For those who have no clue what I’m talking about:

–there’s also a book of the same title by Cracked’s David Wong.)

5 Likes

It’s been up on Netflix for a couple of years now. Good stuff.

2 Likes

Won’t someone please think about the spiders?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.