The Making of Karateka is a playable documentary about the classic 8-bit beat-em-up

Originally published at: The Making of Karateka is a playable documentary about the classic 8-bit beat-em-up | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That brings back memories. For some stupid kid reason, my step-brother and I always called one of the bosses “Sushi” whenever he showed up in the game.

4 Likes

I loved this game.

7 Likes

The Atari50 Playable Documentary by the same people (Digital Eclipse) was a real joy to play through, so I’m looking forward to getting this.

I hope it becomes a whole genre - anything that gets people thinking of game developers as auteurs and artists (rather than scapegoats for some decade old franchise failing to provide its anticipated dopamine hit) has got to be a good thing.

3 Likes

My dad had this back in the day and as a wee lil kid i sucked at it, i don’t remember ever beating it but i definitely enjoyed the hell out of it and Prince of Persia… anyone here ever play the Prince of Persia 2 game? Looked beautiful but was kinda more fantastical and weird, a friend of mine had it so i never beat it myself but i have a memory of some the areas you could visit, including a giant chess set.

2 Likes

I was so very stoked a few years ago that there was an Android version of the original.

Got it via HumbleBundle having a mobile bundle with it, so officially got to beat it finally!

4 Likes

I just want an official answer:

kuh-rot-uh-kuh

or

care-uh-teek-uh

3 Likes

It’s a Japanese word so I presume it uses Japanese pronunciation. kar-ah-teh-ka

6 Likes

Prince of Persia 2 played an outsized role in my adolescence. It’s as weird and wonderful as you remember. Maybe even weirder, wonderfuller.

2 Likes

I also remember a level where there’s a giant dead spider twitching in the background. I don’t know why i didn’t ask my friend to get me a copy :stuck_out_tongue: shame. Still between the original Prince of Persia and the sands of time series i have a lot of love for the IP

2 Likes

This is one of the few video games that I learned to beat on my Apple ][+ and I can still play in middle age and still beat. Awesome game.

3 Likes

Yeah, it means “Karate student”, so the “Karate” part is pronounced like you normally would. When I was a kid I always thought the game’s name was pronounced

Even after practicing Karate for years, it took a long time for me to realize that I’d completely missed that it was the same word we used in the dojo. Years later I saw an emulator or something and it finally clicked.

3 Likes

Fairly close but it means practitioner of karate. Similarly someone who draws manga professionally goes by the term Mangaka.

3 Likes

Things I remember about the game:

If one takes a fighting stance with Princess Mariko at the end of the game, she will one hit kill the unnamed protagonist. Thus proving she could have saved herself all the time- at least in my headcanon.

It is possible to bow and bow again ad infinitum with most of the aggressor foes causing them to do the same, except the eagle and maybe Akuma.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.