The man who saved Star Trek has died

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/26/the-man-who-saved-star-trek-has-died.html

8 Likes

My favorite footnote to the story of the saving of Star Trek is that the first episode of Season 3, the phoenix-like revival of the show, was “Spock’s Brain”, widely regarded as the very worst episode of TOS. I can only imagine what those fans, who’d worked so hard to bring the show back, thought as they were watching it.

“Brain and brain! What is brain?”

10 Likes

Ah, but who did they come to when they needed someone to write said poems?

5 Likes

Also, Lucille Ball produced the two pilot episodes through her studio, allowing it to go into production.

12 Likes

So that’s where the Bajorans came from!

Interesting you mention Time Tunnel, since that star was also Vic Fontane in DS9. Probably not an accident.

5 Likes

So Star Trek as we know it today has to thank Lucille Ball, fans like John Trimble, and maybe even Martin Luther King, Jr. (for convincing Nichelle Nichols to stay on TOS). You know, it strikes me that maybe the nerds have always been at the leading edge of pop culture. We just haven’t always known who they were.

21 Likes

Some of the very earliest films were based on books written by sci-fi nerds:

5 Likes

We may or may not have been, but the geeks undeniably won the contest to define pop culture. Not that you’d know it from that certain subset of bitter middle-aged white male nerds who still wallow in their high school memories (sometimes imagined) of being persecuted outsiders.

11 Likes

I bet Homer had regular walk-on cameos for stage productions of The Iliad and The Odyssey like he was Stan Lee.

And of course Gilgamesh was just the original hero of the MCU (Mesopotamian Cuneiformian Universe).

12 Likes

They’re just mad that Star Trek’s gone all woke now, you know with their Black Mary Sue captain, and the little queer family… that kind of diversity just doesn’t make sense in the future!!! /s

Touching Cbs All Access GIF by Paramount+

10 Likes

I knew about Bjo, but not about John.

Peace and Long Life.

4 Likes

Most renaissance and Baroque painters did

3 Likes

It still amazes me that Star Trek TOS was so huge in syndication that you could buy Trek toys like action figures and “Colorforms” in the mid-70’s, years after the show had ended.

3 Likes

When I read the headline, I thought for a moment and said, “John Trimble must have died.” His wife Bjo was more well-known, having authored one of the essential Trek books of early fandom, “The Star Trek Concordance.” But the Trimble team’s efforts, not only for getting us the syndication-securing third season, but also the less well-known letter-writing campaign between the first and second seasons, is the stuff of superfan legend. Rest well, John.

5 Likes

Well, you know, they never had politics in the old stories! :laughing:

5 Likes

Why would anyone think that?

9 Likes

They were elegant toys for a more civilized age.

3 Likes

And certainly none of that woke nonsense like racial equality…

5 Likes

Star Trek has never shied away from holding a mirror up to society.

Of course citizens of the planet Cheron probably hate mirrors since their reflections look like people of a hated and inferior race.

9 Likes

And because nerds are intersectional, the Society for Creative Anachronism has also bid vale to Master John ap Griffin

3 Likes